From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: Sackmann, Gleason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sun, 19 May 2002 13:01:46 -0700
Subject: TheSchoolDaily for Monday, 20 May 2002

TheSchoolDaily for Monday, 20 May 2002
"Building a networked learning community of parents, teachers and
friends of schools."

TheSchoolDaily is sponsored by:
* ASCD http://www.ascd.org/

EDUCATION NEWS

OVERSEAS STUDENTS KEEPING STATE SCHOOLS AFLOAT
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12983
At Rutherford College in west Auckland overseas students pay a $10,000
annual fee which allows the school to provide extra teachers, computers
and classrooms reports the New Zealand Herald.

SCHOOL QUELLS BRANDING
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12982
Dannevirke High School says it has managed to stamp out a trend of
students deliberately branding themselves with cigarette lighters reports
the New Zealand Herald.

DRUG-USE RISE FOR PUPILS JUST A BLIP SAYS TEACHER
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12981
More than 20 primary schoolchildren under 10 were suspended for drug
offences last year, a big rise on the previous year but the increase may
be just a one-off, says Wellington Principals' Association president Neil
Worboys. The New Zealand Herald reports...

THAI STUDENTS CLAIM SEX ABUSE AND RIP-OFF
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12980
In New Zealand on a summer trip to learn English, promised the sights of
Auckland, a trip to Queenstown, their own beds and a comfortable homestay
instead  14 young Thais found themselves sleeping on the floor of a state
house in Mangereand dropped off at malls to fend for themselves reports
the New Zealand Herald.

TEACHERS WALK OUT OVER DEAL
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12979
Almost 40 Hibiscus Coast teachers defied their national executive on
Friday to protest against a "pathetic" settlement offer the Government
made to high school teachers on Thursday

IT'S GOOD FOR SCHOOLS TO MAKE PROFITS
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12984
A belief persists in this country that it is somehow wrong for state
services such as health and education to make money begins the New
Zealand Herald in this editorial which supports schools which find ways
to obtain funds over and above those provided by the government.

PUBLIC MEETING PLANNED OVER BOY'S 'BONER' ESSAY
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12986
The parents of a 15-year-old boy who was stood down over an essay will
hold a public meeting at Cambridge Town Hall on Friday to challenge the
school board of trustees reports the New Zealand Herald.

GOVERNMENT WILL HAVE $11.6 MILLION TO FOR SKILLS INFORMATION
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12963
This week's budget will include $11.6 million to improve the information

available on skills needed in the economy, says New Zealand Employment
Minister Steve Maharey. The New Zealand Herald reports.

NATIONAL PROMISES MORE IN BURSARY EXAM REWARDS
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12962
A National government would boost the amount of money students get if
they pass Bursary examinations reports the New Zealand Herald.

ANOTHER $10MILLION FOR TERTIARY SECTOR REFORM
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12961
The New Zealand Government is to spend another $10 million reforming the
tertiary education sector reports the New Zealand Herald.

PARENTS SUPPORT MILK IN SCHOOL PROPOSAL
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12960
An overwhelming majority of parents of Wellington primary and secondary
school students believe children should be given milk at school, a new
study shows the New Zealand Herald reports.

NEW INDIGENOUS TRAINING PROGRAM ANNOUNCED
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12956
At the ACT Indigenous Traineeship Program Graduation ceremony on Friday
ACT Minister for Education, Youth and Family Services, Mr Simon Corbell,
announced a new Indigenous New Apprenticeship Program offering twenty
more young people the opportunity to gain skills for the workplace ...

SCHOOL CLOSED FOR ASBESTOS REMOVAL
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12953
Western Australian Education Minister Alan Carpenter has ordered the
immediate temporary closure of a Perth primary school, after revelations
of apparent shoddy workmanship in the removal of an asbestos roof ...

TOP-UP FEES BACK ON FUNDING AGENDA
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12959
Universities would be allowed to charge higher fees to students under
plans being considered by the Treasury as part of the government's
comprehensive spending review reports UK's Guardian.

MORRIS ATTACKS 'DISEASE' OF MOCKING HIGH ACHIEVERS
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12958
The education secretary Estelle Morris last week rebuked those who look
down at high achievers at school, saying it was the "British disease" to
mock academic achievement reports the Guardian.

SCHOOL DRUG RISE MAY BE A BLIP
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1205291a11,FF.html

'ILLEGAL' SCHOOL FEES
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1205297a1933,FF.html

KAIKOHE WESTPACTRUST BAND OFFERS A SAFE HOUSE
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1205260a1927,FF.html

HIGH SCHOOL STRUGGLES TO FIND RELIEF TEACHERS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1205365a1908,FF.html

STRATFORD POETS SCORE SWEETEST SUCCESS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1204513a1885,FF.html

PUPILS GIVEN MESSAGE ON RAPE
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1205244a1601,FF.html

MINSTER TELLS GRADUATES TO USE KNOWLEDGE WISELY
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1205195a1896,FF.html

RUGBY: DE LA SALLES' GOLDEN RUN ENDS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1205307a1502,FF.html

PAY OFFER 'PATHETIC', SAY TEACHERS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1205257a1805,FF.html

THREE TOP SPORTSPEOPLE IN TOWN
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1204449a2022,FF.html

THE CRISIS IN SCHOOLS NOT OVER
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1206645a1903,FF.html

ROSLYN SCHOOL RECEIVES FAVOURABLE REPORT CARD
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1206632a1900,FF.html

RUGBY: DE LA SALLE'S GOLDEN RUN ENDS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1205307a1502,FF.html

HOLMES, SWEET HOLMES
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1205695a1886,FF.html

BOYS HIGH RALLY TO WIN 69-5
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1207049a2023,FF.html

DRUG, ALCOHOL OFFENCES LEAD SCHOOL SUSPENSIONS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1205250a1805,FF.html

SMALL KIWI FIRM ATTRACTS AUSSIE BUSINESS WITH NET MONITORING SYSTEM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1205797a1896,FF.html

WHANGAREI BOY CUT IN AFTER SCHOOL INCIDENT
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1205236a1800,FF.html

MINISTER APPLAUDS UNIVERSITY NUMBERS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1205284a1900,FF.html

FIVE DISRUPTIVE KIDS A CLASS, SAY TEACHERS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1203494a1701,FF.html

RISE IN ANTI-SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR PUTTING PRESSURE ON TEACHERS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1203312a11,FF.html

BREAKFAST FOR THE BRAIN

BFTB: Breakfast for the Brain - Today in History
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12978

1. Who first flew from New York to Paris on this day in 1927?
2. What ground breaking law was approved by the Soviet parliament on
this day in 1991?
3. Who was appointed President of Indonesia on this day in 1963?
4. Which country became independent of Great Britain (Treaty of Jedda),
20 May 1927?
Answers...

PARENTS/FRIENDS

The Cooper Column: 'Why most professional development doesn't work'
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12319
Around the world more and more attention is being focussed on
teacher professional development. One area of focus is the efficiency of
the present ways of upskilling teachers. For many teachers their only
opportunity to gain professional development is to attend a one-day or
perhaps slightly longer courses run by someone with supposed skill in
the area the course is intended to improve. This simply does not work, yet
it is continued year in year out at every level ...

Parents and Teens Column: 'A DAD'S WORLD - I Hate To Say I Told You So....'
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12954
These are word that we all use to our children sometimes. Sometimes they
help. Sometimes they hurt us, as parents, more to say then they do our
kids. For many years I have told my children many time the importance of
doing their homework and achieving good grades. Most times I met with
their resistance to these words of advice with phrases from them like:
"Dad, times are different now. It's not like when you were in school."

Elliot, David (2001). 'Pigtails the Pirate'. Auckland: Random House.
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12701
Reviewed by Gwen Gawith: David Elliot has become recognised as one
of New Zealand's best known and most respected illustrators with his
robust but detailed and delicate sea monsters and ocean creatures. In
'Pigtails the Pirate' the monster from the sea is a very vain human
giant, Pigtails. He has captured Jess' father. It takes a long sea
journey and some clever negotiation on Jess' part to set her father free.
But Jess isn't one to walk away from her side of the bargain. Shorn of
his pride and glory, Pigtails laments that "All me andsomeness is gorn,
gorn" and Jess restores Pigtails' manliness and andsomeness before she
and her father set sail into the dawn ...

PRYDE Drug Education: 'Who ever said:  "Ignorance is bliss"'
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12601
"..  I could see something terrible was happening to my son. I had found
out he was smoking marijuana which was not good and was causing him to
behave so badly. But I could not get anyone to believe me.  At times I
began to think I was the crazy one!  No-one else seemed to believe that
marijuana smoking was in any way serious and on every side I seemed only
to find apathy and lack of real concern about this drug ...

LEARNZ2002 'Mountains of Mana' - Aoraki/Mt Cook and Auckland Volcanoes -
register now!
http://www.learnz.org.nz/2002/

Articles from the latest 'Good Teacher' and NZ Information Literacy
Archive
http://www.TheSchoolQuarterly.com

Special Web Solutions and Services for Schools
http://www.heurisko.co.nz/webservices

For school audioconferencing POLYCOMs are essential
http://www.learnz.org.nz/polycom/

LEARNZ-Nepal 'Mountain Connections' - for New Zealand schools - register now!
http://www.learnz.org/nepal

'Wordsmith 2.0' an integrated toolbar in MS Word providing literacy
support from textHELP!
http://www.texthelp.co.nz

ASCD Executive Director to address conference in Canberra, Australia, 27
and 28 May
http://www.ascd.org/aboutascd/internationalwebsite