From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: "Sackmann, Gleason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TheSchoolDaily for Friday, 24 May 2002
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 13:05:46 -0700

TheSchoolDaily for Friday, 24 May 2002
"Building a networked learning community of parents, teachers and
friends of schools."

TheSchoolDaily is sponsored by:
* ASCD http://www.ascd.org/

EDUCATION NEWS

$41M TO DOUBLE APPRENTICESHIPS
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=13134
Tradespeople eager to pass on their skills to a younger generation have
spurred the Government into doubling its target number of "modern"
apprentices to 6000 reports the New Zealand Herald.

TERTIARY RIVALS CRYING FOUL
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=13133
A crackdown on the country's 400 private tertiary institutions detailed
in yesterday's Budget may mean niche-area or low-income students lose
access to higher education, providers say. The New Zealand Herald reports...

$61 MILLION MORE FOR EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=13132
Early childhood education will get an additional $61 million from the
Government over the next four years, the Government said in yesterday's
budget reports the New Zealand Herald.

TEACHER OPPOSITION TO CONTRACT GROWS
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=13130
The contracts deal negotiated between secondary school teachers and the
Government looked increasingly under threat reports the New Zealand Herald.

$214 MILLION BOOST FOR TERTIARY EDUCATION
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=13131
Tertiary education received a $392 million shot in the arm from the
Government in yesteray's budget, more than any other sector apart from
health reports the New Zealand Herald.

Investing In Quality
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=13099
Investing in quality learning and teaching and improving literacy and
numeracy are top priorities for the New Zealand government in Budget
2002 reports.

GREEN SCHEME GIVES DISABLED WORK
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=13105
Aspley Special School in Brisbane caters for students aged 12 to 18 with
moderate to severe intellectual and physical disabilities. The
Australian profiles one of its teachers Harry Johnson.

SCHOOL INSPECTIONS CANCELLED
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=13098
Western Australian Education Minister Alan Carpenter has ordered the
cancellation of 10 asbestos roof inspections at Western Australian schools.

SCHOOL SHOPPERS SHARE IN $60,000 WORTH OF COMPUTER PRIZES
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=13033
Wavell Heights State School in Queensland has won eight new Packard Bell
computers  after taking out first place in the Westfield Chermside 'Shop
for your School' promotion ...

STATE SCHOOLS ON SHOW DURING EDUCATION WEEK CELEBRATIONS AT SOUTH BANK
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=13032
Queensland's Education Minister Anna Bligh has officially launched State
Education Week at South Bank Parklands in Brisbane ...

CAMPUS VOLUNTEERS URGED TO TEACH
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=13104
British education ministers are backing US inspired plans to persuade
graduates to spend two years as teachers in tough schools before
beginning a business career reports the Guardian.

MOTHER OF TRUANTS FREED BY JUDGE
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=13103
A United Kingdom mother who was jailed after she "simply didn't bother"
to send her two teenage daughters to school, walked free from jail this
week after a crown court judge reduced her sentence on appeal from 60 to
28 days reports the Guardian.

CTU CONDEMNS WILDCAT STRIKES
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1211647a11,FF.html

CHCH BOYS' PRINCIPAL TO STEP DOWN
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1212131a1561,FF.html

SOCKING IT TO THE AUSSIES
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1211803a1928,FF.html

NEW HOUSE REPLACES OLD GWYNNELANDS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1211630a1601,FF.html

CHIEFS TAKE A PUNT ON NETBALL COURT
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1211685a1602,FF.html

ONSLOW BOY STOPS KNIFE-WIELDING PUPIL
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1211673a11,FF.html

STUDENT DOBBED IN BY FELLOW PUPILS FOR SUPPLYING DRUGS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1211749a1800,FF.html

TECHNICAL ERROR COSTLY FOR TBHS TEAM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1210968a2023,FF.html

TBHS ENTERTAIN BUT LOSE TO CBHS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1210969a2023,FF.html

PUPILS CHASE TITLE ACROSS COUNTRY
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1211752a1900,FF.html

KIDS SING FOR LESS FORTUNATE NEIGHBOURS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1211732a1540,FF.html

SCHOOLS AND CLUBS MUST LINK
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1212038a1943,FF.html

NEW ERA FOR SCHOOL
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1211799a1927,FF.html

GORE STUDENTS MAKING WAVES
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1212126a1941,FF.html

TRUST GRANTS REACH $1M
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1211103a3681,FF.html

TEACHERS DEMONSTRATE OUTSIDE PARLIAMENT
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1212073a11,FF.html

HARTE FINISHES TWO SECONDS AHEAD
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1211700a1560,FF.html

SPOTLIGHT ON MAORI HEALTH
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1211645a11,FF.html

TAMMY CLEANS UP AT GOLF CHAMPS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1211755a1801,FF.html

BOLGER CALLS ON HIS IRISH ROOTS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1212156a1700,FF.html

SCHOOL HEADS BACK TEACHERS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1211654a1600,FF.html

GOLFERS OUTPLAYED BY CHCH
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1210966a2023,FF.html

TEACHERS LACK GOOD FAITH
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1210931a1939,FF.html

GIRLS COLLEGE RUNNERS SHOW WAY AT PARK
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1211716a1916,FF.html

BUSINESS INCUBATOR SITE VEXED QUESTION
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1211690a1900,FF.html

BREAKFAST FOR THE BRAIN

BFTB: Breakfast for the Brain - South America
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=13138

Find out the highest mountains in the following countries:
1.Argentina
2.Chile
3.Peru
4.Bolivia
Answers...

GOVERNANCE

Obituary: Dr Stephen Jay Gould
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=13137
 From the Royal Society of New Zealand: Evolutionary theorist, Dr
Stephen Jay Gould of Harvard University, has died of cancer at his home
in Manhattan, aged 60. The New York Times credits him with
"reinvigorating the field of paleontoglogy" through his prolific
lectures, research and essays ...

Early Childhood Education Critical to Success
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=13100
Budget 2002 continues the New Zealand government's commitment to early
childhood education with a further $61 million investment over the next
four years to improve quality and access.

Big Internet Boost for Remote and Provincial Communities
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=13102
The New Zealand government announced in yesterday's budget it is to
spend tens of millions of dollars to get fast speed internet access in
provincial and rural communities.

School Funding Increases
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=13101
Per pupil funding rates to schools will rise next year by 2.2 per cent
the New Zealand Government announced in yesterday's budget.

The 'class from hell' terrorising a primary school
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=13139
Bernadette Doherty's action was unprecedented in the annals of primary
school history. But the headteacher of Wharrier Street primary school in
Walker, Newcastle upon Tyne - one of the city's most deprived wards -
was adamant. She had had enough of a small group of pupils who seemed
hell-bent on disrupting life for everybody else...

Education Quandary
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=13140
'I love teaching, but the older teachers in my school are always moaning
and my mood drops every time I go into the staffroom. But if I stay
away, I feel standoffish. What can I do?'...

Knowledge And Skill Are Important, But What About The Glue That Holds
Them Together?
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=13136
There is a lot of truth in the current international mantra that generic
skills are fundamental for successful working lives.  These are said to
include: communication skills, self management skills, thinking and
problem solving skills, technology skills and skills associated with
interpersonal dynamics. More often than not, what is left out of the
list are the fundamental skills that reflect the civic, ethical and
philosophic orientation of individuals.  One can be a knowledge worker,
but if the knowledge does not operate within a positive values
framework, one simply has an individual who is dangerous, since
pragmatism is put ahead of ethical and spiritual considerations.  If the
nation does not emphasize education ahead of skill development we will
not produce citizens who grow in wisdom and who know how to make
judgement calls that have the principles of democracy at their core ...

The Linda Vining Column: 'Building a famous brand'
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=12995
When you hear the name Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) otherwise
known as 'Mounties' what image comes to mind? My girlfriends in Australia
have a very clear picture. They instructed me to bring them home a
handsome mountie, in a red serge uniform on a black horse. Well, I saw
lots of mounties but  the closest I got for my friends was a postcard.
However, I did spend a day discussing marketing matters at the national
office of the public relations department of the RCMP in Ottawa.  Canada
is the only country in the world that has a police force as a national
symbol. I wanted to find out how the RCMP protects and manages its
high-esteem profile ...

Articles from the latest 'Good Teacher' and NZ Information Literacy
Archive
http://www.TheSchoolQuarterly.com

For school audioconferencing POLYCOMs are essential
http://www.learnz.org.nz/polycom/

'Type and Talk 4.0' an easy to use word processor providing literacy
support from textHELP!
http://www.texthelp.co.nz

2002 ASCD Teaching & Learning Conference in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA,
October 11-13
http://www.ascd.org/trainingopportunities/conferences/2002tlc/