Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 21:40:28 +1200
From: "Virtual Teacher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Virtual Teacher -ALONG TIME AGO

Virtual Teacher Newsletter  No. 50  May 24th 2002 - A ONG TIME AGO
THE FREE ONLINE FORTNIGHTLY IT TEACHERS' NEWSLETTER
Subscribe:
http://mojo.epicentre.org.nz/cgi-bin/mojo/mojo.cgi?flavor=subscribe&list=Virtual
_Teacher
Or visit: http://www.virtualteacher.com.au
Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website: http://www.virtualteacher.com.au
Newsletter Archives can be found at:-
http://www.virtualteacher.com.au/archives.html
CONTENTS
1. Welcome
2. Mind Candy
3. WWWinfo Currency converter
4. New Printables -  Biographies and Autobiographies
5. Technical Stuff - Edsoft,, Mac and Seminars
6. Web Site Focus - Storm Chaser
7. Biographies and Autobiographies
8. Great Sites
9.  Readers' Requests/Comments
10 Next Issue
11. Code of 'Netizens'
12. Tips
1. WELCOME EVERYONE. A long time ago in a galaxy far far
away - all the computers worked all of the time.  In fact I am yet
to see a Star Wars movie or an episode of Star Trek where a
crashed computer causes a problem at all. SOOOO I expect that
in the future computer problems will all be solved. BUT for the
moment it seems that just as you are about to give the demonstration
to BEAT all demonstrations, a computer problem, crash, outage,
connection failure, printer/scanner malfunction or misplaced power
supply brings you unstuck.  BUT WAIT you all say - this is GREAT,
this is FANTASTIC, because THEN you can teach everyone tooooo...
TROUBLESHOOT -  a most neglected area of computer education.
JUST DO IT, the trouble shooting demonstration was the one
you planned anyway - right.
2. MIND CANDY
From: Michael Wolf
You know what seems odd to me? Numbers that aren't divisible by two."
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid
to say and then don't say it."  --Sam Levenson
"It's not me who can't keep a secret it's the people I tell
that can't."  --Abraham Lincoln
"I've had people ask me if I were shipwrecked on a deserted
island, and could only have one book, what would it be? I
always say 'How to Build a Boat.'"  --Steven Wright
I have found the best way to give advice to your children
is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it.
---Harry Truman
3. WWWinfo
Universal Currency Converter
http://www.zakon.org/robert/internet/timeline/
=====================================
4. NEW PRINTABLES
Biography of a Friend
http://www/virtualteacher.com.au/biography.pdf
Biography of a Famous Australian
http://www/virtualteacher.com.au/autobiog.pdf
Autobiography
http://www/virtualteacher.com.au/biography.pdf
5. TECHNICAL STUFF
At last some cheaper software - thanks to the good folks at
Edsoft.  Now the next trick - when will we get the Maths Circus
CDs on the 'cheaper' list.  Keep working on it Linda.  At least
these cheaper prices can be downloaded from a home computer
when I actually have time to look at them.  for other states deals
are already in place, check out the Edsoft site for details.
THE GOOD NEWS
At last Edsoft is able to supply the range of Macromedia products
to NSW DET schools at  discounted rates.
Email Linda for a copy of the order form.  Please pass this on to
other interested colleagues.  The Software Unit has listed Edsoft
for Macromedia with their toll free Melbourne number 1800 338 873.
If you have any questions please get back Linda.
Linda Zugai
NSW State Manager
Edsoft Pty Ltd
Email:-  [EMAIL PROTECTED]http://www.edsoft.com.au
Google Zeitgeist - Search patterns, trends, and surprises according
to Google
http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html
Apple previews next upgrade of OS X
At its Worldwide Developers Conference last week, Apple previewed
the next major version of Mac OS X. Code-named "Jaguar", it will offer
new features such as: QuickTime 6, a complete solution for industry
standard MPEG-4 video and AAC audio streaming; Rendezvous,
Apple's proposed new industry standard for automatic discovery of
computers, devices, and services on IP networks; Quartz Extreme,
a hardware accelerated Quartz graphics and compositing engine;
UNIX Tools, the latest UNIX advancements including FreeBSD
4.4 updates, the new GCC 3 compiler, IPv6 and IPSec; and
Windows support, for increased compatibility with Windows
networks with SMB browsing and sharing as well as built-in
PPTP VPN security. The new version will be available to customers
in late summer(our winter) 2002.
What is SchoolKiT Enactz?
SchoolKiT Enactz is a library of hundreds of classroom-ready
learning modules that make meaningful use of technology to
enhance learning.  I ordered their free demo disc and there are
a lot of interesting lessons on the disc.  Take the tour and look
at the free previews online.  This is a great idea - although there
seemed to be fewer resources for Primary schools - a great many
more for high schools at this stage.  It is a program worth looking
at an evaluating, and would be particularly helpful for folk just
starting out or those not too comfortable with integrating curriculum
with computers.  This company distributed this product worldwide,
but it is based in our very own Victoria.  Take a look.  they may still
have some free demo CDs.  Sign up for the free 30 day trial -
don't worry about doing this it's the best way to assess a new program.
http://enactz.schoolkit.com/
P.O. Box 260
South Blackburn, Vic 3130
Phone: 03-8810-1317
Fax: 03-9923-6162
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NEW SEARCH ENGINE - SEARCHONLINE
Here's a new search engine that is worth a look.
"We have recently launched a new meta-search engine that has
earned a lot of acclaim in the industry.  Kevin Elliot of About.com
recently wrote a glowing review of our service which can be found at:
http://websearch.about.com/library/searchtips/bltotd020423.htm
We search well over 100 search engines and special invisible
"deep web" databases - including regional searches for the US,
Canada, UK and France.  To gain a full appreciation for the many
unique features we offer you should take look at our online help
section by clicking on the ? found in the upper right of the homepage.
Our search engine supports UK, US, Canada, and French regional
searches, multiple languages, mailing and saving of results directly
from the result list, and many other features.  We also have a very
comprehensive news system, powered by moreover.com, which
delivers news from over 1,000 sources grouped into over 300
categories.  All features are free, just enter your search in the box
at the top of the page.  Only advanced functions like news subscriptions
require registration.
You can view the engine at:
http://www.searchonline.info
Cory J. Smith
CEO, Anvil Development Group, LLC
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Up and coming Seminars and Events
from the Schooldaily
http://www.theschooldaily.com
2nd International Lifelong Learning Conference 2002
http://www.edDiary.com/viewEvent.asp?eventPK=194
Date : Sunday, 16 June 2002
Venue : Rydges Capricorn International Resort
Yeppoon on the Capricorn Coast, Australia

9th National Conference of the Australian Association
for the Education of the Gifted and Talented
http://www.edDiary.com/viewEvent.asp?eventPK=229