Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 06:00:00 -0500
Subject: Surfing the Net with Kids:  Watergate
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Barbara J. Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Today's Surfnetkids newsletter is brought to you
free of charge by the following sponsors:

$o?`?o$o,,,,o$o?`?o$o$o?`?o$o,,,,o$o?`?o$o$o?`?o$o,,,,o$

         You don't have to be a programmer to add
         games to your organization's Web site!

This summer, learn how to create interactive word searches,
scramblers, and jigsaws with the low-cost tools explained in
"How to Add Games to Your Site."

As a special bonus item, all buyers get a FREE copy of
"How to Add Quizzes to Your Site."

Buy now, download immediately and have games on your site
in an hour!   http://how2add.com/cgi-bin/pl/pl.cgi?nl

$o?`?o$o,,,,o$o?`?o$o$o?`?o$o,,,,o$o?`?o$o$o?`?o$o,,,,o$

I love renting DVDs from Netflix.com because:

** I NEVER have to run to return a DVD to the store (when
I'd rather be doing something else)

**  I can keep each DVD as LONG as I want, because
there are never any late fees

**  I can rent as many DVDs as I want each and every month
for one low monthly fee

The video store wants my business back (they LOVED
charging me late fees) but I say "No way!"

Try Netflix FREE for thirty days and let me know if you
love it too!  http://www.surfnetkids.com/cgi-local/pl/pl.cgi?nf

$o?`?o$o,,,,o$o?`?o$o$o?`?o$o,,,,o$o?`?o$o$o?`?o$o,,,,o$

June 5, 2002

Dear Reader,

Looking for fun (easy) summer content for your Web site?
The July batch of Surfnetkids Flash games has arrived!
http://surfnetkids.com/games-store.htm

Today's Watergate Scandal feature is accompanied by the
following game:

Watergate Who's Who Mix & Match
http://www.surfnetkids.com/games/watergate-mm.htm

See ya on the Net,
Barbara J. Feldman
"Surfing the Net with Kids"
http://www.surfnetkids.com

P.S. This week Printables Club Members also:
        1) learn how to color code email messages in their inbox
        2) learn about a terrific children's literature site
        3) get a FREE two-page Internet enrichment printable of
        today's topic

Become a Printables Club Member (just pennies a day):
http://surfnetkids.com/printables-club.htm
Member Login:  http://www.surfnetkids.com/printables/

            Watergate Scandal
            by Barbara J. Feldman
http://www.surfnetkids.com/watergate.htm

It's been thirty years since the burglary that begot the biggest
political scandal in United States History.  On June 17, 1972,
police arrested five men for breaking into the Democratic
Party's national headquarters.  On August 9, 1974 President
Richard Nixon resigned from office under threat of impeachment.
What happened between these two dates is quite a story.

Illusion and Delusion: The Watergate Decade
http://www.journale.com/watergate.html
*****
Journal E's Illusion and Delusion is a photo essay of the
seventies, covering Watergate and other  political events.  It
was an historic decade by any measure.  President Nixon's visit
to China in February, 1972  resulted in normalized relations
between the two countries.  The Equal Rights Amendment
prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sex passed the Senate
on May 22, 1972. And on June 17, 1972, five men were arrested in
the burglary of the Democratic party headquarters in the
Watergate apartment complex in Washington, D.C.

Infoplease.com: Watergate Affair
http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/history/A0851589.html
***
Infoplease.com and Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia give us a
nice four-page Watergate introduction for upper elementary and
middle school students.  More biographical background on Nixon
and Ford are available via hyperlink, and the print bibliography
will be useful for those needed additional sources for school
reports. Additional biographies can be found by using the search
function in the left-hand vertical menu.

TIME Newsfile Watergate
http://www.time.com/time/newsfiles/watergate/
*****
See the Watergate scandal develop through the cover pages of
TIME magazine. "Richard Nixon has been on the cover of TIME more
times than anyone, and his involvement in the Watergate scandal
was a big reason why."  In 1972 Richard Nixon shared TIME's Man
of the Year honor with Henry Kissinger.  Although the Watergate
break-in had already occurred, its effects had not yet
reverberated through the White House.  The following year, TIME
bestowed Man of Year upon John Joseph Sirica, the federal judge
who presided over the Watergate investigation.  Some of the
archived articles require a fee, but there are enough free
resources here to make the site worth visiting.

Watergate.info
http://watergate.info
*****
Watergate.info is my pick of the day because it puts the entire
affair in perspective, starting with the political context of
the late sixties when Nixon was elected.  Although "Watergate"
refers to the Watergate Hotel in Washington D.C. where the
office of the Democratic National Committee was burgled, the
term has become generalized to describe the "complex web of
political scandals between 1972 and 1974."  Great clicks are
Chronology, Transcripts & Audio, and Aftermath.

WashingtonPost.com: Watergate 25
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/watergate/
*****
 From 1997, this special online report commemorated the twenty-
fifth anniversary of the Watergate break-in.  Outstanding
sections are Key Players (a who's who of the Watergate scandal)
and The Reforms (lawmakers in the 1970s passed a series of bills
to improve the political process and restore public confidence
in elected officials.) Only the Deep Throat section seems dated,
with so much recent speculation about the true identity of Bob
Woodward's deep background source.

        ***** Spectacular!    **** Wonderful!   *** Great

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^**^*^*^*^*^**^
Related Book in Association with Amazon.com:

"All the President's Men"
by Carl Bernstein, Bob Woodward for all ages.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0671894412/surfinthenetwith

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^**^*^*^*^*^**^

                        Surfnetkids Classified Ads

Sign up for free newsletters from Surfnetkids partners at:
http://www.surfnetkids.com/freenewsletters.htm

FREE elephant book and tiger poster with one-year
trial subscription to Zoobooks.
http://www.surfnetkids.com/cgi-local/pl/pl.cgi?zb

NO LATE FEES! Discover a new way to rent DVDs online
with Netflix.com 30 day FREE trial:
http://www.surfnetkids.com/cgi-local/pl/pl.cgi?nf

Are you doing enough to insure your child's success in
school? http://quinst.com/clk/junchongtangniaojian

Surfnetkids Classified Ads are just $40 each. Sign up
today: http://www.surfnetkids.com/classified.htm

ATTENTION AOL MEMBERS:  Here is a clickable summary
of today's addresses:

<A HREF="http://www.surfnetkids.com";>Online archive of Surfing the Net with
Kids</a>
<A HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]";>Cancel this
newsletter</a>
<A href="http://www.surfnetkids.com/changeaddress.htm";>Change your email
address</a>

Our WONDERFUL sponsors:
Site</a>

Today's Featured Sites:
<A HREF="http://www.journale.com/watergate.html";>Illusion and Delusion: The
Watergate Decade</A>
<A HREF="http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/history/A0851589.html";>Infoplease.com:
Watergate Affair</A>
<A HREF="http://www.time.com/time/newsfiles/watergate/";>TIME Newsfile
Watergate</A>
<A HREF="http://watergate.info";>Watergate.info</A>
<A
HREF="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/watergate/";>Washing
tonPost.com: Watergate 25</A>

Today's Games:

Mix & Match</a><br>

Related Book:
<A
href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0671894412/surfinthenetwith";>All
the President's Men</a>

*
Copyright 2002 by Barbara J. Feldman. Publication
in any medium is strictly prohibited without prior
written permission.
*
ISSN 1520-4588
*
ALL OTHER INQUIRIES: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ONLINE ARCHIVE: http://www.surfnetkids.com