Date:         Thu, 6 Jun 2002 14:02:46 -0700
From:         Classroom Connect -- Library Hot Five <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:      Library Hot Five #137: Father's Day
To:           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

***Library Hot Five #137: Father's Day***

Did you know the first Father's Day was observed on June 19, 1910 in Spokane
Washington? In 1966, President Lyndon Johnson signed a presidential
proclamation
declaring the third Sunday of June as Father's Day.

My Dad Is My Hero
http://myhero.com/hero.asp?hero=myDad
Read submissions and then send stories to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Submit images as
attachments or send your story, photos, illustrations, and audio or video clips

to the address shown on the My Hero home page.

Sesame Street Art Projects for Father's Day
http://www.sesameworkshop.org/parents/activity/results/1,4121,,00.html?hdesc_ids=4461

Here are 8 ideas to help young students honor their dads. Children will enjoy
making the Shirt-and Tie Card or the playing the Father's Day Memory Game.

Caroline and Dad Do the Alphabet Rap
http://www.amtexpo.com/babbooks/alphabet/index.html
Martin Siegel wrote and illustrated this rhyming game between a daughter and
her
father.

Father's Day on the Net
http://www.holidays.net/father/
Learn how Father's Day became a holiday, find ideas for celebrations, and read
about popular customs. Check out a Father's Day puzzle and the bulletin board
with tributes.

KidSource: Father Involvement
http://www.kidsource.com/kidsource/content5/father.schools.html
This research on father involvement with student achievement might encourage
more fathers to visit and become involved with their children's schools.

This Classroom Connect Mailing List is a free service. If you have
trouble, send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To nominate a Web site, please address your email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

To find out more about Classroom Connect's complete line of innovative
Internet products for K-12 schools:
<http://www.classroom.com/store/storehome.jhtml>