From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 06:02:45 EDT
Subject: "Canku Ota" (Many Paths) New Issue Summary
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This is a summary, to read the articles in their entirety visit:
Canku Ota (Many Paths)
http://www.turtletrack.org
An Online Newsletter Celebrating Native America

July 13, 2002 - Issue 65

'Aang"
The Aleut Greeting
"Greetings "

We Salute
Adriann Buckles

After losing two uncles to diabetes in the span of a year, 14-year-old
Adriann Buckles decided to fight back against the disease, which also killed
two of her great-grandparents.

More than 12 percent of the nation's Native Americans older than 19 have
diabetes, twice the rate of the general population.

"There are many Native American people on my reservation with diabetes,
especially school-age children," Adriann said.

Artist:
Wolf River Band

Each year, we highlight some of the NAMMY nominees. This year, we start this
series with the Wolf River Band, from Wisconsin. Not only is Wolf River a
nominee, they will also be performing at the NAMMY show.

Original Gangstas

They were making music before there was America

First there are the dancers: They twirl, bob, and sway, 800 men, women, and
children dressed in 800 variations on the theme of feathers, beadwork, and
bells. The sight is intoxicating, but it is the sounds­of  thousands of bells
on dancers' ankles and "jingle dresses," of the chantlike singing, and, most
of all, of the pounding, insistent drums­that stay with you for  days
afterward. This is "the song," the heartbeat of the powwow, passed seamlessly
among a dozen groups of men seated around a dozen picnic table-size drums
from the first Grand Entry to the final steps of the last competitive dance
three days later.

Thunderhawk
The O’Malley Vacation
by Geoff Hampton

Writer Geoff Hampton shares this story that should delight both young and old.

Tolerance 101
A project by Southern Poverty Law Center

In the next issues of Canku Ota, we are going to share ideas with you about
learning and teaching tolerance. Perhaps this will inspire you to come up
with your own ideas to share.

California Trip Shatters Stereotypes

Even though I have lived in many parts of this country, I believed that the
northern Plains was the "real" Indian country after all, North Dakota is my
home. And while it is true that this is Indian country, there are, and were,
other areas where large groups of Native people live.

Hollywood Diversity for the American Indian

I came to Hollywood five years ago, in 1997, from Albuquerque, New Mexico. It
wasn't an easy thing to do and my path to California has been one long
struggle to make it, to be seen and heard.

In Old Names, a Legacy Reclaimed

When the missionaries came north to this frozen land of blizzards and
deserts, they could not understand why the people they met, the Inuit, had no
last names. Why some men carried the names of female ancestors. Why some
women carried the names of their uncles, why a little boy might call his
father "my son." Why a grandfather might call his infant granddaughter "my
sweet little mother."

Reviving Languages, Saving Cultures

"Windtalkers," this summer’s box office drama about World War II’s Navajo
code talkers, may have brought the beauty of Native American languages to the
big screen, but in real life, many make up a growing list of endangered
tongues.

Students Paint Traditional Tipis As Part Of Art Institute

A reception honoring the achievements of 17 student artists at the 12th
annual Oscar Howe Native American Summer Art Institute was held Friday at the
Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts on the campus of the University of
South Dakota, Vermillion.

Cherokee Nation Subject of Exhibit

Oklahomans will see the changing images of the Cherokee Nation through time,
with the opening of an exhibit from the Smithsonian Institution at the
Oklahoma Museum of History.

Honors for 'Yaya'

Felicite McDonald did not know she was a teacher, until her children and
grandchildren and then her great-grandchildren told her so.

CMC, Ute Tribes to Join Forces

Colorado Mountain College administrators would like to give the Ute Indians,
who once inhabited the Yampa Valley, a reason to return to their homeland.

Indian Youths Gather for Leadership Camp

By ones and twos, some tapping hiking sticks together in traditional songs, a
long line of Indian youths shook off the morning chill as they climbed
Cardiac Hill to a mess hall surrounded by gnarled oaks.

NAJA Announces Native Media Awards Winners for 2002

Minneapolis, MN--The Native American Journalists Association announced the
winners of this year's Native Media Awards contest at their 18th annual
convention held in San Diego, CA (June 19 - 22).

Cooperative Effort Saves Fish, Farmers

Watching 30-pound chinook salmon splash their way up the Umatilla River is
something of a miracle.
Their nearly 300-mile voyage, crossing five dams, is remarkable enough. But
this is a river that died every summer for 70 years as farmers pumped it dry
to irrigate thirsty crops.

Big Leaguer Tells Shiprock Youth to Follow Dream

Follow your dream and take risks.

That was the message Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Miguel Batista brought to
nearly 350 Navajo youths Wednesday at the Shiprock Boys and Girls Club. The
youths didn't mind waiting an extra hour in sweltering heat inside the club's
gymnasium for Batista to arrive from Kayenta, Ariz.

State Nicknames

Match the food-related nickname with the appropriate state. Three states have
multiple unofficial names.

Did You Know?

States have taken both the serious and the not-so-serious approach to
food-related symbols. Here's a look at some of their efforts:

This Date In History
Recipe: State Recipes
Story: How Glooskap Found Summer
What is this: Common Loon
Project: The Beading Loom Part One
This Issue's Web sites

Opportunities

"OPPORTUNITIES" is gathered from sources distributed nationally and includes
scholarships, grants, internships, fellowships, and career opportunities as
well as announcements for conferences, workshops and symposia.

   Canku Ota is a free Newsletter celebrating Native America, its traditions
and accomplishments . We do not provide subscriber or visitor names to
anyone. Some articles presented in Canku Ota may contain copyright material.
We have received appropriate permissions for republishing any articles.
Material appearing here is distributed without profit or monetary gain to
those who have expressed an interest. This is in accordance with Title 17
U.S.C. section 107.

Canku Ota is a copyright © 2000, 2001, 2002 of Vicki Lockard and Paul Barry.

The "Canku Ota - A Newsletter Celebrating Native America" web site and its
design is the Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 of Paul C. Barry.
All Rights Reserved.