From: "Tim Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: eSN School Technology  Alert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:11:03 -0400
Subject: ***eSN School Technology ALERT*** July 29, 2002

** eSN School Technology ALERT ** an eSchool News Publication
"The #1 weekly newsletter for K-12 technology decision-makers"
Over 100,000 readers! We encourage you to pass along this issue
of eSN School Technology ALERT, unaltered, to interested
colleagues.
Visit http://www.eschoolnews.org
Monday, July 29, 2002                      Vol. 5, No.25
This week's issue brought to you by...

eSchool News Forums
>From best practices to tech tips, eSchool News Forums allow you to
exchange news and views with your fellow school executives, for FREE! See
section IV for more details.

Visit:
http://www.eschoolnews.com/ubb/index.htm

IN THIS WEEK'S ISSUE

I. TOP NEWS STORY
 - ACLU sues to ask and tell what sites N2H2 blocks

 * OTHER NEWS
 - Schools use ultraviolet light to zap HVAC health risks
 - Defense establishment offers free software to foil hackers
 - Virtual reality gives these students a boost in real life
 - Filtering company squares off with Triangle Boy for internet control

II. TECH FUNDING NEWS
 * Schools could lose nearly $1B in unspent eRate funds
 * Grosvenor Grant Program 2002
 * $100,000 from the National Endowment for the Humanities

III. SITE OF THE WEEK
 * Experience history through multimedia at “American Memory”

IV. FEATURED PUBLICATION
 * eSchool News Forums

V. eSCHOOL PARTNERS UPDATE
 *  Special Offers, News, and Updates from eSchool Supporters

VI. CALENDAR
 * Upcoming Conferences and Special Events

VII. RESOURCE LIBRARY
 * Tools and Information to Help School Technology Decision Makers
 * Subscription Information

WELCOME FROM THE EDITOR

Hello Gleason Sackmann,

Welcome to another edition of eSN School Technology ALERT. The August 2002
issue of eSchool News is now available online, visit
http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/current.cfm.

Best of luck,

Tim Morris
Online Editor, eSN School Technology ALERT
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I. TOP NEWS STORY

ACLU sues to ask and tell what sites N2H2 blocks
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) filed a lawsuit challenging
portions of a 1998 law—the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)—which
makes it illegal to write and publish programs that decode the lists of web
sites blocked by some types of internet filtering software.

Visit:
http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/showStory.cfm?ArticleID=3914

Other News
Schools use ultraviolet light to zap HVAC health risks
http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/showStory.cfm?ArticleID=3890

Defense establishment offers free software to foil hackers
http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/showStory.cfm?ArticleID=3871

Virtual reality gives these students a boost in real life
http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/showStory.cfm?ArticleID=3867

Filtering company squares off with Triangle Boy for internet control
http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/showStory.cfm?ArticleID=3865

II. TECH FUNDING NEWS

Schools could lose nearly $1B in unspent eRate funds
Beginning next April, all unused eRate funds will be carried over to
subsequent program years and distributed as additional funding to schools
and libraries, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruled June 13.

Until that time, however, at least a sizable portion of these unused
funds—estimated at $970 million by the FCC—will be returned to
telecommunications carriers to stabilize their customers’ telephone bills,
the agency said.

For the complete story, go to:
http://www.eschoolnews.org/resources/funding/

Grosvenor Grant Program 2002
The Grosvenor Grant Program, offered by the National Geographic Society
Education Foundation, supports the creation of experiential learning
opportunities for students; professional development and mentoring programs
for teachers; the development of valid student learning assessments in
geography; and advocacy efforts to secure a place for geography in state
curricula. Priority is given to applications that include letters of
commitment from other funding sources that match the funds requested from
this program. The program deadline occurs three times a year; the
foundation expects to award between $50,000 and $70,000 for 25 to 30
proposals in total. Applicants for the Grosvenor Grant Program may also
apply for Teacher Grants of up to $5,000 to assist teachers with the
implementation of innovative geography programs in their schools.

Visit:
http://www.eschoolnews.com/resources/funding/opps.cfm#379

$100,000 from the National Endowment for the Humanities
A Rhode Island elementary school will receive $100,000 over the next two
years from the National Endowment for the Humanities to develop a
historical walking tour of the school’s neighborhood as part of the
school’s ongoing historical project.

Visit:
http://www.eschoolnews.com/resources/funding/awards.cfm#125

III. EDUCATION TECHNOLOGY SITE OF THE WEEK

Experience history through multimedia at “American Memory”
The Library of Congress has added again to its impressive collection of
online learning resources, called American Memory. Anyone who wants to hear
Buffalo Bill’s own voice or John Philip Sousa’s original band now can tune
in by computer. With the addition of its 111th and 112th collections of
materials, American Memory now includes more than 7.5 million items, which
the library says is the world’s largest collection of online educational
material. “Emile Berliner and the Birth of the Recording Industry” includes
more than 400 items from the library’s collection of Berliner’s papers and
108 of his sound recordings beginning in 1894. Berliner was an immigrant
from Germany who patented the flat-disc gramophone records that superseded
the original cylindrical recordings.

Visit:
http://www.eschoolnews.com/resources/links/showLink.cfm?linkID=78

IV. FEATURED PUBLICATION

eSchool News Forums
The launch of eSchool News Forums marks the return of three popular
technology discussion topics to eSchool News Online. You are invited to
discuss such topics as integrating technology, grants and funding, and
school safety. You can also start message-board threads of your own and
discuss whatever relevant issues you please. The site welcomes postings and
and administrators to exchange their thoughts the world over. To verify
that all participants are bona fide educators, you will be asked to
register before participating. You will have a chance to discuss certain
industry trends and find out what companies are doing to meet the
ever-evolving needs of schools. From best practices to tech tips, eSchool
News Forums allows you to exchange news and views with your fellow school
executives, for FREE!

Visit:
http://www.eschoolnews.com/ubb/index.htm

V. eSCHOOL PARTNERS UPDATE

Inner-City Catholic School Triples ITBS Reading Scores
MADISON, Wis. – (June 25, 2002) In 1998, average reading scores of fourth-
and fifth-grade students at St. Monica’s were far below the national norm
(50th percentile). With the introduction of Accelerated Reader® and Reading
Renaissance® fourth- and fifth-grades students in 2001 demonstrated
significantly improved reading levels and increased their Iowa Test of
Basic Skills (ITBS) reading scores by 40 and 41 percentile points.

http://www.eschoolnews.com/resources/partners/showrelease.cfm?ReleaseID=289

Mesa, Ariz. Schools Adopt StandardsMaster™ Software to Help Students Master
State Standards
MADISON, Wis. – July 15, 2002 – Mesa, Ariz., on July 9 became the latest
school district to adopt Renaissance Learning’s StandardsMaster™ instant
assessment and Web-based reporting software when the Mesa school board
approved purchase of the system for the district’s 75,000 students.
 StandardsMaster enables schools and districts to regularly assess student
progress toward specific state standards, to help educators identify
strengths and weaknesses and ensure success for every child.

http://www.eschoolnews.com/resources/partners/showrelease.cfm?ReleaseID=288

3Com Announces Special Discounts for U.S. Schools in Summer School 2002
Program
SANTA CLARA, Calif., July 17, 2002 – 3Com Corporation (Nasdaq: COMS) today
announced the Summer School 2002 Program in the United States. Available to
K-12 through higher education until September 30, 2002, the new program
offers special pricing for schools on a wide variety of easy-to-use,
education-enhancing 3Com® networking products that improve network
communication and connectivity in schools, when purchased through 3Com’s
authorized channel partners.

http://www.eschoolnews.com/resources/partners/showrelease.cfm?ReleaseID=287

Academic Achievement Prompts Visit From 60 Minutes
MADISON, Wis. – (June 11, 2002) – Targeted reading instruction and strong
parental involvement at Lucas Elementary in Fort Campbell, Ky., prompted a
recent visit from CBS’s 60 Minutes program for a segment entitled Pentagon
Schools.

http://www.eschoolnews.com/resources/partners/showrelease.cfm?ReleaseID=286

VI. CALENDAR

Oklahoma City. Encyclo-Media Conference 2002
September 12 - September 13
Oklahoma City, OK
http://title3.sde.state.ok.us/encyclomedia

Los Angeles. EdNET 2002
September 22 - September 25
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.hellerreports.com/ednet2002/Index.html

San Diego. National Association of State Boards of Education, 43rd Annual
Conference
October 10 - October 12
San Diego, CA
http://www.nasbe.org/Annual_Conference.html

For more events, go to http://www.eschoolnews.org/resources/calendar/

VII. RESOURCE LIBRARY
Here's a quick guide to the nation's #1 web site for K-12 school technology
professionals.
Visit http://www.eschoolnews.org today!

eSchool News Forums
>From best practices to tech tips, eSchool News Forums allow you to
exchange news and views with your fellow school executives, for FREE!
http://www.eschoolnews.com/ubb/index.htm

School Technology Buyer’s Guide
The School Technology Buyer's Guide is the most comprehensive online source
of information about vendors, products, and services for the K-12 field.
http://www.eschoolnews.com/buyersguide

School Technology Funding Center
Get up-to-the-minute listings of school technology grant opportunities,
grant tips & tools, recent grant awards, and equipment donations.
http://www.eschoolnews.org/resources/funding/

Product Spotlight
Make the best purchasing decisions for your school IT department with the
eSN online best picks for new school technology products!
http://www.eschoolnews.org/resources/spotlight/

eSN Special Reports
These special reports provide school leaders powerful summaries of key
issues in K-12 education technology, and are available completely free of
charge.
http://www.eschoolnews.org/resources/reports/

eNewsletters
Subscribe today for FREE!
*eSN School Technology ALERT
http://www.eschoolnews.org/resources/enewsletters/Alert/

*K-12 TechWatch
http://www.eschoolnews.com/resources/enewsletters/k12techwatch/

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

COPYRIGHT 2001 eSchool NEWS. All rights reserved.