From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: Sackmann, Gleason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 12:35:20 -0700
Subject: TheSchoolDaily for Friday, 02 August 2002

TheSchoolDaily for Friday, 02 August 2002
"Building a networked learning community of parents, teachers and
friends of schools."

TheSchoolDaily is sponsored by:
* ASCD http://www.ascd.org/

EDUCATION NEWS

TERTIARY POLICY FLAWED
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=14711
In this editorial the New Zealand Herald looks at the"misguided
restructuring of tertiary education" that began 12 months ago.

TEACHERS ATTACK TV STORYLINES
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=14673
Soap operas and television adverts that glorify selfish and bad behaviour
are sending "dangerous messages" to children, British teachers have
warned. The Guardian reports...

YOUNG SEE LAW CHANGE AS GREEN LIGHT FOR CANNABIS
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=14672
British teachers yesterday criticised the government for sending out
"mixed messages" to youngsters over drug use through its controversial
reclassification of cannabis earlier this month reports the Guardian.

ANOTHER SCHOOL BUS SERVICE AXED
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1284786a1927,FF.html

NCEA RESULTS REALLY PLEASING
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1284524a1911,FF.html

PALESTINIAN BOMBING KILLS 7 AT UNIVERSITY
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1284340a12,FF.html

SCHOOL SAYS GOODBYE SCHOOL BUS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1284897a1601,FF.html

FIELDING HIGH SCHOOL PREPARES FOR WEARABLE ART AWARDS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1284898a4661,FF.html

HELPING HAND FOR ATHLETES
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1284998a1502,FF.html

PARENTS PULL CHILDREN OUT OF SCHOOL
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1284846a1800,FF.html

TRUANCY UP AS TEACHERS LEARN HARD LESSONS FROM STRIKE
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1285034a11,FF.html

AUSTRALIAN PRIEST TO HEAR SEXUAL ABUSE CLAIMS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1285205a1895,FF.html

FIVE-POINT TARGET FOR TBHS AGAINST MALBOROUGH
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1285118a2023,FF.html

MUSLIM GIRLS TO FIGHT SINGAPORE OVER HEAD SCARF BAN
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1285005a12,FF.html

AUCKLAND UNIVERSITY LECTURER HONOURED
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1285014a28,FF.html

ASIANS PLACED AS MOST SUCCESSFUL SCHOOL LEAVERS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1284930a11,FF.html

COLLEGE QUARTET RELISH RUGBY EDUCATION
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1284942a1916,FF.html
BREAKFAST FOR THE BRAIN

BFTB: Breakfast for the Brain
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=14709

1.  What result did Carol Owens achieve in the women's singles squash
final at the Commonwealth games?
2.  What result did Judo player Tim Slyfield achieve at the Commonwealth

games?
3. What result has the New Zealand 4000m pursuit team achieved at the games?
4. What result did the New Zealand men's hockey team achieve against
Canada at the games?
Answers...

TEACHERS

Response to Mark Treadwells article in Tuesday's TSD on PDA's

Mark your snippet about a PDA toting headmaster was a timely one. I use a
Palm OS based handheld (m100) for lesson plans, diary, to do list etc, etc
and find it invaluable. In fact I'm planning to upgrade to a more
powerful colour model in the near future. Three questions: firstly, are
there any places I can go to purchase PDA's with an educational discount.
Secondly, any other teachers out there using PDA's, and if so what
applications do you use - anything especially for school? Lastly, will
ERO be able to cope with a "lesson-planning" system that splits "Plans"
between multiple PDA-based applications??? Adrian Firth, Glenfield College.

GOVERNANCE

The Linda Vining Column: Repositioning your School
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=14585

Three years ago Griffith University in Queensland,by its own admission,
was a "wannabee university with a declining market share". At a
conference in Sydney I heard the former Marketing Manager, Margaret
Burke, say that the university used to have a poor and undistinguished
image. Today, it holds a strong position in the education marketplace as
a result of an integrated marketing plan. Below are several strategies
the university initiated to reposition itself. These techniques are just
as applicable to schools...

INSIGHTS and OVERSIGHTS by Lester Flockton: <i>School Improvement: How
do we know it?  How do we show it? Part 1</i>
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=14710

We must learn to measure what we value rather than value what we
can measure." (Education Counts, 1991) If only everything were neat and
tidy, linear and straight, black and white, simple and uncomplicated.
But that's not what it's like in the majority of schools and classrooms,
let alone the homes that children live in.

Plan for Success #5 By Defyd Williams: Going for data-driven goals
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=14705

Last week we asked if we wouldn't allow anyone to perform surgery on us,
why should schools allow all parents to tell teachers, as the
professional experts, what the learners need? Well to get the ball
rolling on this familiar debate here is some qualitative and
quantitative data that one high school gathered when they asked parents
to state their expectations.

Teach pupils safe drug use
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=14707

Some UK children are now so steeped in drug culture that they should be
taught how to take drugs safely rather than instructed to "just say no",

the Professional Association of Teachers decided ...

UK teachers to be offered three-year pay deal
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=14708

The UK Government is planning to award teachers a three-year pay deal in
a bid to head off a damaging conflict over public sector salaries ...

Articles from the latest 'Good Teacher' and NZ Information Literacy
Archive
http://www.TheSchoolQuarterly.com

For school audioconferencing POLYCOMs are essential
http://www.learnz.org.nz/polycom/

'Read and Write 6.0' - an easy to use toolbar providing literacy support
from textHELP!
http://www.texthelp.co.nz

'Type and Talk 4.0' an easy to use word processor providing literacy
support from textHELP!
http://www.texthelp.co.nz

2002 ASCD Teaching & Learning Conference in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA,
October 11-13
http://www.ascd.org/trainingopportunities/conferences/2002tlc/