From: David Shively [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2002 8:11 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: TeachersFirst Update - August 12, 2002

TeachersFirst Update - August 12, 2002

More Hangups
We're delighted at the response to our bulletin board "hangups"
quotations series. Several thousand of you downloaded quotes last week,
so we've added another set - dealing with learning and education - this
week. If you haven't yet visited, or if you'd like some of the newer
quotes - you can check them out at:
http://www.teachersfirst.com/hangups.html
You'll also find a note there for users who might have had trouble
getting these quotes to
display properly.

Read!!
Reading is probably the single most important skill a child can learn.
Finding books for "reluctant readers" can be a challenge, and
TeachersFirst's Reading Lists page can help. We've created grade-level
listings and short summaries for hundreds of books from preschool
through high school, and we've put them on a searchable page that almost
any student can use. Try our reading lists page to help find the books
that will keep your students' noses buried! It's at:
http://www.teachersandfamilies.com/open/read.html

Professional Content
Keeping your teaching fresh and interesting can sometimes be a
challenge. TeachersFirst's Professional Matrix offers a wide range of
teaching ideas and strategies to meet specific needs and challenges.
You'll find information for new teachers, strategies for special
education students, and articles on ways to make any classroom work more
effectively. (Our new series on peer mediation is well worth a look.) If
you've not sampled the Professional Matrix recently, stop by at
http://www.teachersfirst.com/prof.htm

Get Them Organized
Good organizational skills are important for any student. Even third
graders aren't too young to begin taking responsibility for their own
assignments. "Backpack Basics" is our handout for parents that explains
appropriate ways parents can encourage their students to be organized
and use their time efficiently. This is useful information you can
suggest to parents or, better yet, print out and send home. Backpack
Basics is at: http://www.teachersandfamilies.com/open/backpack.html

Featured Sites
This week's features include a look at otters, a great science
experiments collection, a feature on architects, and more. As always,
you'll find the features at: http://www.teachersfirst.com/feature.htm

That's all for this week. BUT - we neglected to send out a plain text
copy of last week's update. If your copy of last week's update was
blank, scroll down - we've included it in this week's mailing.

David Shively,
Senior Editor

IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING E-MAIL ADDRESSES:

TeachersFirst's mailing list has thousands of names. This makes manual
list editing extremely difficult. We'll continue to do it when
necessary, but we'd much prefer you follow the automated instructions
below:

TO SUBSCRIBE to this newsletter, please follow these instructions: Go to
the page: http://www.teachersfirst.com/lsoftsignup.htm
and complete the form there. You will receive a confirming e-mail for
security purposes. When
you respond to that message, your name will automatically be added to
the TeachersFirst mailing list.

TeachersFirst Update - August 5, 2002

August is here; we hope you're someplace cool!

Bulletin Board Hang Ups!
This is about the time most teachers start searching for something new
and different to put on the bulletin boards this year. If you're tired
of the same old things, check out TeachersFirst's new bulletin board
Hang Ups. They're a thematic collection of quotes designed to inspire,
instruct, and encourage students. Best of all, we've made them into
colorful, printable 8.5" x 11" Acrobat files that you can print directly
from your browser. The first two themes "Goal Lines"  and "Writer's
Blocks" are complete. We'll be adding more shortly. The Hang Ups are at
http://www.teachersfirst.com/hangups.html

Lesson Units - Colonial Forts
If you've begun working on lesson units for the fall, remember some of
the great supplementary materials you can find at TeachersFirst. If
you're studying Colonial America, pay a visit to our colonial forts unit
- a look at life in and around frontier forts. Students can learn how
the early settlers lived, and even some of the things children did back
then. The Frontier Forts unit is at:
http://www.teachersfirst.com/lessons/forts/

The Inventor's Workshop
Inventions are a great way to blend history, science, and biographies
into a neat interdisciplinary unit. You can do this with many historical
periods, but TeachersFirst's Inventor's Workshop is great way to use
this strategy with the industrial revolution. There are biographies of
English and American inventors, listings of invention resources, even a
self-scoring, interactive inventor's quiz. You can visit the Inventor's
Workshop at: http://www.teachersfirst.com/lessons/inventor/

Biomes of the World
If climates and biomes are part of this year's curriculum,
TeachersFirst's Biomes of the World unit offers a well-packaged
introduction to each biome, along with a short webquest that lets
students sample a collection of resources for each different
environment. This unit is ideal for students who want to work
independently, but need a guided project. The Biomes unit is at:
http://www.teachersfirst.com/lessons/biomes/

That should do it for now. Enjoy these summer days; the pace will pick
up soon!