To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (GLEF Blast Newsletter)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:25:01 -0700
From: The George Lucas Educational Foundation <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: GLEF Blast Newsletter: August 21, 2002

GLEF Blast Newsletter: August 21, 2002

For back-to-school, GLEF announces two new Web-based projects promoting
models of school leadership and the key role of the principal. First,
starting September 5, GLEF is premiering a 13-week Internet radio show on
VoiceAmerica.com. If you haven't listened to Internet radio, this is an
exciting new medium and we invite you to listen in! Second, we are
publishing the first in an ongoing series of instructional modules for use
in preservice teacher education and ongoing professional development.

I. GLEF Internet Radio Show: "Edutopia" on VoiceAmerica.com

Premiering Thursday, September 5, at noon PT (3 pm ET), "Edutopia," a live
talk radio show from The George Lucas Educational Foundation! This one-hour
talk show, broadcast each Thursday, is hosted by Dr. Milton Chen, GLEF's
executive director, and will feature key educators and students, as well as
business, government, and community leaders, discussing educational
innovation. The show will include listener call-ins and e-mails. Topics
will include technology integration, project-based learning,
social/emotional learning, community and parent involvement, districtwide
change, and more, always with a focus on real educators making real change
happen in their schools.

The first show focuses on the new school year and how leading principals
establish the framework for powerful teaching and learning at their
schools. Guests include Principal Tony Bencivenga, whose school, Ben
Franklin Middle School in Ridgewood, New Jersey, was the subject of a
recent GLEF documentary and Web article.

Tune in Thursdays at noon (PT) for this new radio series featuring the
major ideas, thinkers, and doers affecting education in this Digital Age!
Shows will be repeated at midnight (PT) for listeners on the other side of
the world and are archived on the VoiceAmerica.com site.

[http://www.voiceamerica.com]

II. Instructional Module - View of the Principal and the Job

GLEF presents "View of the Principal and the Job," the first in an ongoing
series of instructional modules designed for use by professional developers
and faculty in schools of education.

This administrative leadership module helps principals develop strong
organizational and leadership skills, as well as strategies and tools to
improve academic performance. Each topic links to various GLEF articles and
contact information, correlated with content derived from leadership
standards and selected textbooks on the principalship. The module includes
classroom activities, case studies, textbook assignments, and teaching
resources, such as PowerPointŪ presentations and short videos.

[http://glef.org/]

III. What's Working in K-12 Schools: The Freshman Principal

There is a growing national movement to combat the potential principal
shortage through the use of experienced principal mentors. Many schools and
districts are developing mentoring programs ranging from formal paid
positions to online forums.

[http://glef.org/freshprincipal.html]

IV. Featured Video: Principal Mentoring

These days, the challenges of being a principal include everything from
being a politician, disciplinarian, visionary, and problem solver. This
seven-minute documentary demonstrates how mentors can make a world of
difference in helping new principals succeed.

[http://glef.org]

V. Expert Interviews

"I have a student. ... She did a project for my economics class. ... She
wanted to talk about some of the consequences of the world economy and the
world market and the protests that were happening in Washington and Seattle
around the World Trade Organization. So she decided to focus on sweatshops.
... She took this documentary and posted it on the web. ... The women's
human rights conference in Paris saw it and asked her permission to show
it. Steve Jobs, the CEO of Apple, asked to show, if he can show the project
to about 10,000 educators."

-- Marco Torres, Teacher, San Fernando High School (LA), and Apple
Distinguished Educator

Marco Torres, a social studies teacher and technology director at San
Fernando High School, explores how the creation of multimedia projects
empowers his students, as well as others who participate in the San
Fernando Education Technology Team.

[http://glef.org/]

VI. Books, Videos, and Newsletters

Edutopia Newsletter - Free

Available in both English and Spanish, our free, semiannual newsletter
highlights innovative K-12 public schools and community programs. Each
theme-based issue includes school profiles, summaries of recent research,
and resources and tips for taking action.

* Edutopia: Success Stories for Learning in the Digital Age - $19.95

This new book is filled with more than 40 articles, full-color photos, and
a useful list of books, Web sites, and organizations. It comes with a
unique CD-ROM that contains more than 70 minutes of video footage from
inside the featured classrooms.

* Teaching in the Digital Age videocassette series

School Leadership (60 minutes) - $10
Emotional Intelligence (75 minutes) - $12
Teacher Preparation (75 minutes) - $15
Project-Based Learning and Assessment (120 minutes) - $15

Our online shopping cart is available at [http://glef.org/products.html] or
call 1.888.GLEF.ORG (1.888.453.3674).

All our products are available online. We offer Free Shipping for orders
sent Ground within the continental United States.

Send "GLEF Blast Newsletter" administrative queries to:
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]].

For further information about The George Lucas Educational Foundation, send
an e-mail to: [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]].

GLEF does not sell or otherwise distribute to third parties the e-mail
addresses of list members.

The George Lucas Educational Foundation is a nonprofit operating foundation
located in the San Francisco Bay Area. Established in 1991 by filmmaker
George Lucas, the Foundation documents and disseminates materials sharing
hundreds of powerful examples of learning and teaching already successful
in our nation's schools. We hope this information will stimulate active
involvement and guide choices in school reform.