From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: "Sackmann, Gleason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TheSchoolDaily for Thursday, 29 August 2002
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 12:41:25 -0700

TheSchoolDaily for Thursday, 29 August 2002
"Building a networked learning community of parents, teachers and
friends of schools."

TheSchoolDaily is sponsored by:
* ASCD http://www.ascd.org/index.html?schooldaily

EDUCATION NEWS

TAKANINI SCHOOL'S CHARITY BLOOMS
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15303
It started 10 years ago as a way to add colour to the school yard.
Today, Conifer Grove School in Takanini grows thousands of daffodils - and
gives them to the Cancer Society for Daffodil Day reports the New Zealand
Herald.

NZ'S 15 YEAR OLDS AMONG WORLD'S BEST IN LITERACY
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15287
Education Minister Trevor Mallard yesterday released a report that
examines the background to the top international literacy ranking of New
Zealand 15 year-olds.

NUMERO CHALLENGE A GREAT SUCCESS
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15285
A team from Forrestdale Primary School have proved themselves the
Western Australia State's mental arithmetic masters, winning the final of an
interschool maths competition in Perth today.

YOUNGSTERS IN THE MOOD TO SPURN THE TROMBONE
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15251
British musicians and teachers say the future of several instruments is
at risk as pupils choose cheaper options reports the Guardian.

SCHOOLS 'TRYING TO DODGE' PAEDOPHILE CHECKS ON STAFF
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15252
British chools are trying to bypass official checks on whether new staff
have criminal records because they are so desperate to cover teacher
shortages before the start of the new school year reports the Guardian.

SCHOOL BRINGS IN SECURITY PATROLS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/northland/0,2106,2034404a6015,00.html

SCHOOL'S BANNER CHOSEN AS FINALIST IN NATIONWIDE COMPETITION
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/timaruherald/0,2106,2034791a6571,00.html

STUDENT'S SPORTS PROWESS IMPRESSES
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/timaruherald/0,2106,2034740a6571,00.html

STUDENTS ARRIVING AT SCHOOL READY TO CAUSE HAVOC
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/timaruherald/0,2106,2034787a6010,00.html

MORE SCHOOLS CALL IN DRUG DOGS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/dominionpost/0,2106,2034831a6000,00.html

BOY'S HIGH. ST PETER'S TEAMS EXCEL
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/waikatotimes/0,2106,2034428a6414,00.html

SELECTORS NAME SCHOOL BOWLS TEAM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/waikatotimes/0,2106,2034427a6414,00.html

TEACHER SEEKS PPTA POST
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/eveningstandard/0,2106,2034362a6502,00.html

RESIDENTS FEAR FOR CHILDREN'S SAFETY
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/southlandtimes/0,2106,2034847a6570,00.html

MAJORITY OF PRINCIPALS CALL FOR DELAY
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/southlandtimes/0,2106,2034852a6568,00.html

SBHS SKIPPER CONTINUES RISE
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/southlandtimes/0,2106,2034856a6439,00.html

PEER TUTORING SCHEME A CLASS READING ACT
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/dailynews/0,2106,2034911a6554,00.html

SCHOOLS NOTE RISE IN STUDENT NUMBERS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/dailynews/0,2106,2034910a6554,00.html

ST PAUL'S WIN FIRST DIVISION RUGBY TITLE
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/waikatotimes/0,2106,2034423a6414,00.html

A+ REPORTS CARD FOR SIT
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/southlandtimes/0,2106,2034723a6566,00.html

DID YOU HEAR THE ONE ABOUT THE CAR BREAKDOWN?
http://www.stuff.co.nz/bayofplenty/0,2106,2034412a6014,00.html

SCHOOL SCORES DOUBLE HONOURS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/waikatotimes/0,2106,2034431a6414,00.html

FIFIELD TRIPLETS STAR IN GYMNASTICS
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/waikatotimes/0,2106,2034432a6414,00.html

DRUG DOGS TO BE USED IN MORRINSVILLE COLLEGE
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/waikatotimes/0,2106,2034325a6579,00.html

NEXT LEVEL OF NCEA FACES DELAY IN WAIKATO
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/waikatotimes/0,2106,2034332a6579,00.html

NEXT LEVEL OF NCEA FACES DELAY IN WAIKATO
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/waikatotimes/0,2106,2034332a6579,00.html

NGAERE SCHOOL BEATS ALLCOMERS FOR COMPUTER
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/dailynews/0,2106,2034904a6002,00.html

BREAKFAST FOR THE BRAIN

BFTB: Breakfast for the Brain - US Open Tennis
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15284
Find out the following match results.
1. Serena Williams vs Corina Morariu
2. Martina Hingis vs Marissa Irvin
3. Andre Agassi vs Robby Ginepri
4. Marat Safin vs Nicolas Kiefer
Answers...

LEADERSHIP/ADMINISTRATION

Becta Educational Software Database (BESD)
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15286
This site might be a good place to start for those wanting to know
what's around in the way of educational software. BESD contains information
about software for pre-school to further education. Software included in
the BESD is educational in nature and available in the UK. The basic
search facility allows you to search by subject area, phrase, platform,
format or keyword. A Help facility is also available.

Limiting the potential of other people to influence our lives
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15242
By Marissa: We all make judgments based on first impressions - the
first scene of a film, the first verse of a song, and of course the
first time we meet someone. Whether or not these first impressions last, it's
hard to be completely open-minded when encountered with someone or
something new. Being of Sri Lankan descent (i.e. Indian-looking) in New
Zealand (largely caucasian) I've always been annoyed at people's
judgements about me before they even start talking to me. From the
extreme case of "Do - you - speak - English?" to the more common (and
quite understandable, I guess) "Where are you from?" I find the fact
that I have black skin almost always colours the first conversations I have
with people.

Articles from the latest 'Good Teacher' and NZ Information Literacy
Archive
http://www.TheSchoolQuarterly.com

Special Web Solutions and Services for Schools
http://www.heurisko.co.nz/webservices

For school audioconferencing POLYCOMs are essential
http://www.learnz.org.nz/polycom/

Try ASCD's Professional Development Online
http://www.ascd.org/framepdonline.html?schooldaily

Read&Write 6 Gold - just released toolbar for literacy and study support
http://www.texthelp.co.nz/