From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: "Sackmann, Gleason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TheSchoolDaily for Friday, 13 September 2002
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:04:28 -0700

TheSchoolDaily for Friday, 13 September 2002
"Building a networked learning community of parents, teachers and
friends of schools."

TheSchoolDaily is sponsored by:
* ASCD http://www.ascd.org/index.html?schooldaily

EDUCATION NEWS

TONED DOWN ECE STRATEGY IS STILL FRIGHTENING
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15613
The Early Childhood Education Strategy "Pathways to the Future: Nga
Huarahi Arataki", although a back down from earlier extreme plans, still
has the potential to drive private providers out of business, ACT
Education Spokesman Donna Awatere Huata has said.

GOVERNMENT RELEASES 10-YEAR PLAN FOR EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15619
New Zealand Education Minister Trevor Mallard yesterday launched a
10-year plan for early childhood education, which aims to increase
participation, improve quality and promote collaborative relationships.

FRUSTRATED TRUANCY SERVICE LASHES OUT AT SCHOOLS
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15614
The Truancy Service's criticism of schools for failing to keep tabs on
children reveals the frustration felt by truancy officers around the
country, ACT Education Spokesman Donna Awatere Huata has said.

REMOVAL OF THE SWAN VALLEY NYUNGAH COMMUNITY CLASSROOM ONE STEP CLOSER
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15609
The Federal Government has backed the State Government's bid to remove
the classroom at the Swan Valley Nyungah Community in Caversham. The
Commonwealth has decided that there is no heritage or cultural
significance attached to the classroom site.

WESTERN AUSTRALIA'S KIWIRRKURRA COMMUNITY WELCOMED HOME
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15612
People from the remote Aboriginal community of Kiwirrkurra in Western
Australia have begun returning to their homes in the Western Desert,
thanks to the combined efforts of the State and Federal Governments and
ATSIC.

MORRIS SEEKS PARTNERSHIP WITH UNIONS
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15620
British education secretary Estelle Morris has called for a partnership
between the government and unions to boost education and overcome
poverty reports the Guardian.

TEACHERS DEMAND MORE MONEY TO STAY IN CLASS
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15621
British teaching leaders are calling for a substantial increase in pay
stem the flow of people leaving the profession reports the Guardian.

COLLEGE AND UNIVERSITY AGREE TO WORK TOGETHER
http://www.stuff.co.nz/otago/0,2106,2047571a3845,00.html

KIDS DON'T KNOW WHERE NZ IS

UNIVERSITY URGED TO ACCEPT FEE DEAL
http://www.stuff.co.nz/otago/0,2106,2047572a3845,00.html

LIFELONG LEARNING TAKES HOLD IN WHANGAREI
http://www.stuff.co.nz/northland/0,2106,2048325a1927,00.html

GOVT LAUNCHES 10-YEAR EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION PLAN

SC ALLEGATIONS OVER CATHOLIC SCHOOL ABUSE
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/timaruherald/0,2106,2048583a6571,00.html

PLAYGROUP FINALLY FINDS A HOME
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/eveningstandard/0,2106,2048364a6502,00.html

$1MILLION BOOST FOR BOHALLY AS STUDENT NUMBERS SWELL
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/marlboroughexpress/0,2106,2048396a6008,00.h
tml
OLIVIA'S MEDAL PREDICTION BRINGS GAMES 'GOLDEN GIRL' TO RENWICK
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/marlboroughexpress/0,2106,2048409a6424,00.h
tml
UNIVERSITY CRISIS PLAN FOR EXAMS DISCUSSED
http://www.stuff.co.nz/otago/0,2106,2047591a6017,00.html

LAING IS JUMPING FOR JOY
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/thepress/0,2106,2047528a6429,00.html

PPTA WANTS FULL IMPLEMENTATION OF NCEA ON HOLD

MAKE BELIEVE BECOMES REALITY FOR CHILDREN
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/timaruherald/0,2106,2048552a6010,00.html

SI HOCKEY SUCCESS FOR WATLINGTON
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/timaruherald/0,2106,2048526a6571,00.html

TREE ATTACK APPALS FREEMANS BAY SCHOOL
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/sundaystartimes/auckland/0,2106,2048441a6016,00.html

CITY HOSTS AUTISM SEMINAR
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/southlandtimes/0,2106,2047477a6568,00.html

BIG TURNOUT FOR FASHION SHOW
http://www.stuff.co.nz/northland/0,2106,2048331a6015,00.html

NEW PUSH FOR CO-ED SCHOOL
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/marlboroughexpress/0,2106,2048389a6008,00.h
tml

---
BREAKFAST FOR THE BRAIN

BFTB: Breakfast for the Brain - US General Knowledge
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15618

1. What was the name of the first Space Shuttle?
2. In what year was the Battle of the Alamo?
3. How many American states begin with the letter L?
4. Which bird is the national symbol of the U.S?
Answers...

GOVERNANCE

Edna Aphek comments on the Alan Cooper article <b><i>Inertia at work
militating against change .. protecting the status quo</i></b>
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15608
It's with great interest that I read the review of Edward de Bono "New
Thinking for the New Millennium" and Clayton Christensen ideas. The
status quo in education in spite of all the innovations, is certainly
amazing. The new wave of testing and measuring is another instance of
closely protecting the "old domains" and the inertia in the school
system. I slso wonder whether this new-old wave isn't one of the ways of
protecting the old structures in light of the massive introduction of
the ICT into our lives as their implementation in full in educational
systems, might be very disruptive. What is then better than showing by
"objective"
measuring tools, that with all this, children still don't know so many
facts that in the past , and according to the requirements, children in
the past did.

The Linda Vining Column: 'What marketing can do for your school'
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15534
Marketing is a new concept in schools so in my workshops I often talk
about three basic processes that apply to school marketing and the
different skills, tools and techniques that are needed for each. Below
is a brief summary. You are welcome to use this at your school to sell
the marketing concept. The role of marketing is to:

Teachers to vote on NCEA deferral
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15611
Secondary teachers should defer full implementation
of Level 2 NCEA until 2004, and Level 3 until 2005 and schools should
vote on whether to proceed with a limited and monitored implementation
of Level 2 next year and Level 3 in 2004, a paper to PPTA annual conference
later this month recommends. The paper, from PPTA national executive and
distributed to schools today, will be debated at the three-day
conference in Wellington, starting on Tuesday September 24.  It updates a paper

already prepared for the conference on the NCEA.

INSIGHTS and OVERSIGHTS by Lester Flockton: 'Planning And Reporting
(Again) - You Can't Mandate What Matters Most!'
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15610
Everywhere I go these days, school principals are itchy and
irritable about the new planning and reporting requirements designed by
the Ministry of Education then made law by the government.  A seemingly
typical commentary heard yesterday from the principal of a highly
successful school: "I don't want to have to do this.  I can't see the
point to it, and I can't see a need for it.  I have to do it.  It won't
make the difference where it matters most.  I'm going to find a system
that meets the legal requirements with the absolute minimum of time and
effort.  I don't believe in it, I suspect the motives behind it,
and you don't need to be too smart to work out that the kind of data
produced from this madness will be as flawed as my aunt's old
stockings."

  Then there are the endless stories from the Ministry "road shows".   At
one such show (down), the official presenters ignited the meeting by
announcing "whether you agree with this or not isn't relevant to this
meeting.  You've got to do it, and our job is to get it under way."
This sort of approach shows contempt for the place of open and healthy debate
about how to best support and advance of the work of our nation's
schools - a process which should precede the prescription of new mandates.

Plan for Success #11: 'The concluding column in the series on Strategic
Planning'
http://www.theschooldaily.com/articleView.asp?articlePK=15617
Schools are showing an increasing acceptance of the Strategic
Planning process by setting themselves challenging, yet achievable,
strategic goals and annual targets. Honestly addressing your biggest
problem(s) is the key to success in the future. It is heartening to see
schools seeking to transform their school cultures for the benefit of
students, parents and teachers. The leading question is: what
is the one big thing that will lift student achievement and reduce
disparity in your school? The big answer to the big problem is not
usually first and foremost a resourcing issue, as is sometimes thought,
but usually a leadership or classroom management issue that requires a
paradigm shift in the way we look at our school to move forward.

Articles from the latest 'Good Teacher' and NZ Information Literacy
Archive
http://www.TheSchoolQuarterly.com

For school audioconferencing POLYCOMs are essential
http://www.learnz.org.nz/polycom/

'Read and Write 6.0' - an easy to use toolbar providing literacy support
from textHELP!
http://www.texthelp.co.nz

'Type and Talk 4.0' an easy to use word processor providing literacy
support from textHELP!
http://www.texthelp.co.nz

Browse new ASCD books!
http://www.ascd.org/framebooks.html?schooldaily