From: Deena Aerenson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Blue Web'n Update:  September 19, 2002
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 08:11:36 -0700

The Blue Web'n Update lists the weekly additions to Blue Web'n, a
searchable online library of Blue-Ribbon Web sites sponsored by Pacific
Bell. Blue Web'n sites are categorized by Grade Level, Content Area,
Application, and Dewey Decimal Number.

Did you know that you can search the Blue Web'n database to access over
1200 great educational resources? Go to
http://www.kn.pacbell.com/wired/bluewebn and either browse the content
table, or conduct a search for age-appropriate materials (see the link
to Grade Level search near the top of the page).

Now, here's an ad from our sponsor, Topica.com. Scroll farther to see
the Blue Web'n picks for this week.

Did you know most sinus infections are fungal and do not
respond to antibiotics? Consumers report success with
colloidal silver.
http://click.topica.com/caaau8cbz8PSsbAloQZa/UtopiaSilver

Hot Site

FOSSWEB         *****
http://www.fossweb.com

FOSS is an elementary and middle school science program developed at the

Lawrence Hall of Science with support from the National Science
Foundation. Teachers could use the FOSS website as a way of integrating
aspects of this program into their own curriculum.  This site contains
interactive modules on topics such as Food and Nutrition, Solar Energy
and Landforms, to name a few.  Each module contains activities and
resources including pictures and movies.

Grade Level:  Elementary, Middle School
Content Area:  Science (General) [Dewey #500]
Application Type: Activity, Resource

-----------------------------------
-----------------------------------

New Additions

USFA Kid's Place   ***
http://www.usfa.fema.gov/kids/index.htm

The United States Fire Administration (USFA) created this site for the
purpose of keeping children and their families safe from fire.  This
site includes activities such as an interactive game, puzzles and
coloring pages.  This site also includes a link to the site for Fire
Prevention Week (October 6 through 12).

Grade Level:  Early Childhood, Elementary
Content Area:  Health and Physical Education (Safety) [Dewey #613]
Application Type: Activity, Resource

-----------------------------------

Adventure Learning Foundation
http://www.questconnect.org  ****

This site takes students and teachers on real and virtual expeditions
around the world. Through a collection of original pictures and journal
excerpts, visitors can accompany travelers exploring the natural
environment, culture, and peoples of different continents. Past
expeditions include Alaska and Yukon, Baja California, American
Southwest, and Southern Africa. Each expedition is accompanied by a
mixture of information, links, and classroom activities.

Grade Level:  Elementary, Middle School
Content Area: Social Studies (Geography and Cultures), [Dewey #900],
English, Science
Application Type: Activities, Resource

for students, parents and teachers. This site contains educational
materials on current environmental issues for students in grades K-4.
The goal of the My Health My World project is to promote a deeper
understanding of the relationships between the environment and health,
while conveying the excitement of "doing science" with elementary school

students.

Grade Level: Early Childhood, Elementary
Content Area: Science (Environmental) [Dewey 570], Community Interest
Application Type:  Activity

-----------------------------------

Eating Disorders -- A WebQuest  for 7th and 8th Grade  ***
http://www.mathrocks.net/webquests/ED_Webquest/index.htm

This webquest for middle school students opens with a scenario where a
student has died from an eating disorder.  The task at hand is to get a
better understanding of the different types of eating disorders, their
causes and their symptoms, and to then share that information with other

middle school students.  This webquest provides a good opportunity for
students to work in teams and to then share important knowledge with
their peers.

Grade Level: Middle School
Content Area: Health and Physical Education (Health) [Dewey #613),
Community Interest, English
Application Type:  Activity

-----------------------------------

Links

<a
href="http://www.mathrocks.net/webquests/ED_Webquest/index.htm/";>Eating
Disorders A Web Quest</a>

Save up to 80% on Inkjet Cartridges & get FREE Shipping
too! No minimum order required. Satisfaction GUARANTEED.
Fast & easy shopping. Prices lower than office supply
stores.
http://click.topica.com/caaawrcbz8PSsbAloQZf/77Colors

ADMINISTRIVIA

         OR

Who are we?  How do you subscribe?  How do you get your e-mail address
taken off this listserv?

Blue Web'n is brought to you by Pacific Bell, a subsidiary of SBC
Communications, Inc. Our Education Team is composed of teachers and
librarians in the state of California in the United States. See the
Pacific Bell Knowledge Network Explorer at http://www.kn.pacbell.com/
for more online resources, tools, and learning activities.

TO SUBSCRIBE (yes, it's free!), send a blank e-mail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or use our handy form at
http://www.kn.pacbell.com/wired/bluewebn .

For subscription assistance, e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Questions and feedback go to Mary Schrader Lasica,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Happy Browsing from Pacific Bell!