From: "Education Week on the Web" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: EdWeek Update, Oct. 2, 2002
Date: Wed,  2 Oct 2002 00:34:07 -0400 (EDT)

Welcome to the EDWEEK UPDATE, brought to you by EDUCATION WEEK on the
WEB--winner of the 2002 Editor and Publisher EPpy Award for Best U.S. Newspaper

Service (Weekly, Community, Alternative & Free).
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a65088a131725449a16

October 2, 2002

In This Issue:
* Top Stories
* TalkBack
* The Daily News

Technologies can help your district meet the challenges of NCLB.

http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a65088a131725449a13

           TOP STORIES

The October 2 issue of EDUCATION WEEK is now online.
Read these and other stories at:
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a65088a131725449a15

Fresh Faces Making Runs for Governor
When voters in 36 states elect governors next month, they will choose a new
wave
of state leaders who stand to make a powerful impact on K-12 education.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a65088a131725449a6

Cincinnati Search: Quick, Quiet, and Controversial
In contrast to the drawn-out superintendent searches that many urban school
boards conduct, Cincinnati's recent hunt took just two months and produced a
candidate who is generating excitement in the southwestern Ohio city. Perhaps
more noteworthy about the process, however, was its air of extreme secrecy.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a65088a131725449a8

Putting the 'Parent Piece' in Schools
Two Los Angeles subdistricts are gaining national attention for their
dedication
to treating parents as partners to help them become more involved in their
children's education.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a65088a131725449a7

Majority of States Told to Revise Reading Plans
Making good on its promise to scrutinize applications for the federal Reading
First program, the U.S. Department of Education has returned many state
proposals to their authors for revision.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a65088a131725449a10

Massachusetts Sued Over Graduation Tests
In the first legal challenge to Massachusetts' high-stakes tests, lawyers
representing students who have failed the state graduation exam have filed suit

in federal court claiming that the state has not adequately prepared students
for the assessments, and that the tests discriminate against minority students.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a65088a131725449a9

Control your Networked Classroom with NetSupport School

NetSupport School Computer Lab Instruction and Monitoring software.
Demonstrate applications, show screen to students' screens, monitor
student progress, nominate group leaders, send out/collect coursework,
annotate, group collaboration and more. Download a free 25 user trial:

http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a65088a131725449a4

               TALKBACK

Add your voice to today's education debates. EDUCATION WEEK on the WEB's new
TalkBack feature gives you the chance to weigh in on critical issues in
education and engage colleagues in debate and discussion. Each week we feature
one or more topics for discussion. Here's one place where it's OK to TalkBack.

This week's topic:

Is high-stakes testing discriminatory?
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a65088a131725449a5

           THE DAILY NEWS

Get education news from around the country in "The Daily News."
Updated by 12:00 p.m., EST.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a65088a131725449a14

This week's highlights:

52% Fail High School Exit Exam
 >From the San Francisco Chronicle: October 1.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a65088a131725449a0

Choice Deadline Extended
 >From the St. Petersburg Times: October 1.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a65088a131725449a2

Exercising the Right to Not Remain Silent
 >From The Christian Science Monitor: October 1.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a65088a131725449a11

Charter School Bill Approved
 >From The Sacramento Bee: September 30.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a65088a131725449a1

In Britain, a Grade-A Scandal
 >From The Washington Post: September 27.
http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a65088a131725449a3

                   QUALITY COUNTS 2003

Our 50-state report card = A+ marketing opportunities.
Click on the link below for more information. Or call Jennifer Haley at (800)
346-1834.

http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a15864a65088a131725449a12

             FEEDBACK

Send your feedback, comments, and suggestions about the EDWEEK UPDATE to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you enjoy the EDWEEK UPDATE, please forward this e-mail to a friend.

 >From EDUCATION WEEK on the WEB. This update is provided as a weekly service
of
Editorial Projects in Education, the Washington, D.C.-based publisher of
EDUCATION WEEK newspaper and TEACHER MAGAZINE.
Copyright (c) 2002 Editorial Projects in Education.