From: The Internet TourBus - A virtual tour of cyberspace
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Bob Rankin
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 12:40 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: TOURBUS - 08 Oct 02 - The Ig Nobel and Stella Awards

             TOURBUS Volume 8, Number 18 -- 08 Oct 2002
    _________ ____________ ________ __________ _____________ ___ _
   /         |            /        |          |             /   | \
  |         F-R-E-E  C-O-M-P-U-T-E-R  T-R-A-I-N-I-N-G      /    |  \
  |__________|__________/__________|__________|___________/_____|   \
 /                                                              |----\
|  Please click below to order the FREE lesson of your choice   |////|
|  (you only pay the shipping and handling).  Your FREE Video   |////|
|  Professor lesson will arrive right on your doorstep.  Join   |////|
|  over 4 million satisfied users learning:                     |////|
|                                                               |////|
|    -->  Windows 98/XP - Outlook - Excel - Access - Lotus      |////|
|    -->  Quicken - Internet - Word - WordPerfect - PowerPoint  |////|
|                                                               |////|
| <A href=" http://tourbus.com/cgi-bin/go/35 "> Click Now! </A> |////|
\_______________________________________________________________|____|
       /   \  /   \                                             /   \
       \___/  \___/  T h e   I n t e r n e t   T o u r B u s    \___/
          Visit the Tourbus Home Page at http://www.TOURBUS.com !

          TODAY'S TOURBUS TOPIC: The Ig Nobel and Stella Awards

What's an Ig?  Can you get filthy rich by spilling coffee on your lap?
And did Bob really make his sister kiss a light bulb?  Find answers to
all these questions in today's TOURBUS.  Read on!

+-------------------- *FREE INKJET CARTRIDGES!* -------------------+

 Buy 1, Get 1 FREE on all cartridges for your Epson, Canon, HP,
 Lexmark or Xerox printer!  100% Guaranteed Quality - Secure
 Ordering - Fast Service.  Free shipping on orders over $25.
 Visit our web site & check out our new low prices!

   <A href=" http://www.thriftyink.com/tourbus.htm ">
   Click Now or Call 1-877-290-0687 </A>

When Patrick and I started the TOURBUS newsletter back in 1995, it was
one of the first sponsored email newsletters.  We never expected that
people would actually *thank us* for including advertising, but they
do!  Lots of people have written to say thanks for introducing them to
our sponsors, and Thrifty Ink is often mentioned.

---------------------
 THE IG NOBEL AWARDS
humor magazine "Annals of Improbable Research", were just awarded at a
gala ceremony at Harvard University and included:

PHYSICS: Arnd Leike of the University of Munich, for demonstrating
that beer froth obeys the mathematical Law of Exponential Decay.

INTERDISCIPLINARY RESEARCH: Karl Kruszelnicki of The University of
Sydney, for performing a comprehensive survey of human belly button
lint -- who gets it, when, what color, and how much.

CHEMISTRY: Theo Gray of Wolfram Research, for gathering many elements
of the periodic table, and assembling them into the form of a
four-legged periodic table table.

MATHEMATICS: Researchers at Kerala Agricultural University, India, for
their analytical report "Estimation of the Total Surface Area in
Indian Elephants."

HYGEINE: Eduardo Segura, of Tarragona, Spain, for inventing a washing
machine for cats and dogs.  This report is in Spanish, so I can't tell
if *dries* them after wash cycle.  If so, I want one for my dog,
"Stinky"!

You can read all about the IG NOBEL prizes, listen to highlights of
the ceremony, and peruse the archives of past winners here:

  <A href="http://www.improbable.com/ig/ig-top.html";>
  http://www.improbable.com/ig/ig-top.html </A>

-------------------
 THE STELLA AWARDS
-------------------

If you've been online for more than, say, a week, you've probably had
your share of e-mails filled with urban legends -- promises that Bill
Gates will send you money if you forward a stupid e-mail, some guy in
Africa has $200 million in cash for you (if you'll just send $15,000
in shipping costs), and a listing of the most outrageous lawsuits
you've ever seen -- the "Stella Awards".

The problem with all of them is that they ARE urban legends -- none of
them are true. The weird lawsuits in particular have caught people's
attention: they're really going around a lot. Randy Cassingham, the
guy that writes the weekly weird news journal "This is True", got
really tired of the fake "Stella Awards" mails. "What's the point of
arguing about a real problem with fake cases?" he asks. So he decided
to DO something about it: he launched the True Stella Awards, and
proves once again that "Truth is Stranger than Fiction". And thanks to
Randy's wit, they're a lot more amusing, too. The site lists those
popular-but-fake lawsuits (see the "bogus awards" page) and you can
get a free e-mail subscription to the True Stella e-mails too.
Highly recommended!

  <A href="http://www.StellaAwards.com";>
  http://www.StellaAwards.com </A>

--------------------
 I'M HAVING A PARTY
--------------------

I wonder if all you nice folks would do me a little favor.  You see,
when I was a teenager, I wasn't always as nice to my sister as I
should have been.  Sibling rivalry and all that, one could argue, but
finally I have a chance to assuage my guilt.  My sister Sue has
recently become a TupperWare(tm) salesperson.  And even after buying
as much TupperWare as I could possibly fit in my kitchen, I felt that
I should do something more to atone for the sins of my youth.

So I helped Sue create her own online TupperWare store, and told her
that I would ask 100,000 friends to come and buy lots of stuff.  So
come to my TupperWare party!  Buy lots of great food storage products
for yourself or to send as a gift.  See the cute photo of my sister
holding my adorable niece.  I feel better now.  :-)

  <A href="http://my.tupperware.com/SusanCar";>
  http://my.tupperware.com/SusanCar </A>

+-------- IT'S BACK!  NORTON SYSTEMWORKS AT 90% OFF RETAIL --------+
  Norton SystemWorks 2002 Professional Edition is 6 Feature-Packed
  Utilities with advanced tools for optimal PC tuning, protection
  and performance.  Just $29.99 gets you *ALL* of the following
  titles and the shipping is also FREE!  (Int'l shipping available)
     ---> Norton Anti-Virus, Norton Ghost, Norton Utilities <---
     ---> Norton Cleansweep, Norton WinFax, Roxio GoBack    <---
  The Norton utilities at 90% off, can't beat it with a stick!
  <A href=" http://tourbus.com/cgi-bin/go/134 "> CLICK HERE </A>

That's all for now, I'll see you next time!  --Bob Rankin

=====================[ Tourbus Rider Information ]===================
   The Internet Tourbus - U.S. Library of Congress ISSN #1094-2238
     Copyright 1995-2002, Rankin & Crispen - All rights reserved

      Tourbus Archives CDROM - http://www.tourbus.com/cdrom.htm
      Get SIX YEARS of Back Issues and "The Best of Everything"

      Subscribe, Signoff, Archives, Free Stuff and More at the
              Tourbus Website - http://www.TOURBUS.com