From: teacher_stuff2001 [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 8:31 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: TeacherStuff Newsletter TeacherStuff - October 9, 2002

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/o1XolB/TM

For lots and lots of great lesson plan ideas go to
http://www.educationcu.com/infodesk/teacher_lesson_plans.html
The lesson plans have been organized by subjects.

October Resources (Monthly Activities are are the Bottom of the page
and are changed out each month. Includes day by day calendar of
history happenings with resources for most.
http://www.educationcu.com/infodesk/teacher_res_center.html

Resources for Teachers on the Net

The Ecookbook Library - Great for Teachers
E Cookbook Library has over 60 cookbooks to download.  It also has
some other books like Harry Potter, Shakespeare, The cost of E
Cookbooks is $14.97 for a lifetime membership. You can download one
book or all 60+ books listed in the recipe section.  There are books
other than cookbooks that can be downloaded as well.  I noticed three
of the Harry Potter books, Lord of the Rings, Red Badge of Courage,
Treasure Island, Five Classics by Poe, and others were listed.  Most
books are in PDF (Adobe Reader) format. The URL is
http://hop.clickbank.net/?siggy/vjjepub

Cookbook Library - Has fiction books as well. Great for teachers.</a>

Great for Teachers - Listen while you are grading papers
Get Best Seller Audiobooks for Download at Audible.com. Choose any
audiobook for only $1.95 and download it instantly to your computer.
I love this because I can download the book and burn a CD of the
book  from my computer. Don't have to wait for the audiobook to come
in the mail. Lists 6 books that can be downloaded free. Has books in
many different categories from best selling books to educational. I
like being able to download magazines and daily newspapers to listen
to as I drive to work. Get a free Otis MP3 player when you sign up.
http://www.qksrv.net/click-997125-3216886

>Get Best Seller Audiobooks for Download at Audible.com. Choose any
audiobook for only $1.95.</a>

Thought for the Day
A successful person is one who solves more problems than he creates.

Recipe of the Day from Nancy's Kitchen come and browse through all
our recipes or sign up for our free recipe newsletter.
http://www.nancyskitchen.com

HOT  CHOCOLATE  MIX

1 box powdered milk
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 c. Nestle Quick
1/2 c. Creamora
1 box instant chocolate pudding
1/4 - 1/2 c. cocoa

Combine.  Store in airtight container .Use 1/3 cup mix to 1 cup hot
water.

This is great to take to school and have at break.

Messages from Our Members

Can you recommend any books for reading and phonics that I could use
in my 2nd grade classroom?
Jennifer

Here are several that I viewed and liked that can be purchased

Fantastic Phonics Food Factory : Teacher/Parent Activity Guidebook
http://www.qksrv.net/click-46518-9269697

Teacher's Guide to Reading and Language Skills
http://www.qksrv.net/click-46518-678902

Phonics A to Z
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/0590315102/whatscookalic-20

Month-By-Month Phonics for Upper Grades
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/0887244734/whatscookalic-20

Reading Skills Problem Solver: Ready-To-Use Techniques & Activities
Sheets for Correcting All Types of Reading Problems
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/0130422061/whatscookalic-20

Reading With Meaning: Teaching Comprehension in the Primary Grades
(More for Grades 1-2)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/1571103074/whatscookalic-20

Reading Books: Grade 3 - Frank Schaeffer
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/0764702173/whatscookalic-20

Debbie the video you're looking for is called Educating Peter. My
first time seeing it was about 8 years ago in college. I will be on
the lookout for it.
Good Luck!
T6360

I enjoy your messages!  Thank you for all you do for teachers!

Amy Thiel
Canton, Ohio
Comment:
I grew up in Oxford, Lebanon and Mason, Ohio.  Great to hear from
someone who lives in Ohio.  Thanks for your comments.
Nancy

I am working with gifted children in the second through sixth grades
in an after school setting. I was wondering if somone had ideas for
me to use with these gifted students. Thanks.
Jewel R

I am hoping that some of your readers will send samples of cotton
still in the pod for a discussion with my Southern Californian
students about the cultivation and harvesting of the plant. Please
send to: Katharine Bruns, Anacapa Middle School, 100 S. Mills Rd.,
Ventura, CA, 93003. Thank your for your time and thoughtfulness.

This is totally unrelated to teaching but do you know of any place I
can find jar mixes for Christmas presents.  I was thinking that you
had a recipe page as well.
Yolanda

Comments:
Yes, I do have Nancy's Kitchen (http://www.nancyskitchen.com) as well
and send out a recipe exhange newsletter 6 times a week.  Nancy's
Kitchen has a recipe message board and I know there have been a
number of jar mix recipes there.  I just looked and there were 149
posted messages under the topic of Jar Mixes.  Jar mix gifts are
wonderful to give to other teachers and give a personal touch to
giving.
http://whatscookin.proboards4.com/index.cgi

Help! I have a Fair Booth entry to do for First Grade. The topic,
Hygenie. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
DAWN

Nancy!my name is Ann. I am an istructional assistant for a pre-K
special needs class in Cleveland Ohio. We are beggining a unit on
school tools. Teaching the kids about all of the tools in the
classroom pencils,books, etc. etc. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

First and foremost ... thank you so very, very much for the time you
put into these newsletters -- day after day -- week after week --
month after month. I so appreciate your kindness and hard work.

You asked for requests. Here are two!
* The State of Ohio --- any and all information to explain / teach /
share the history of Ohio from the Indians to present day; history
timelines; places to go; famous Ohioans -- past and present .... etc.
* Project / Display Ideas -- ideas like dioramas, display board ideas
for geography (instead of science) fairs, project fairs .....

Thank you!
Lu

Hi! I'm student teaching in a first grade classroom and am in the
process of developing a unit on deserts. Any suggestions you could
add in your newsletter?
Thanks!
Melanie

Comment:
Drop by Nancy's Kitchen (http://www.nancyskitchen.com) and check out
the easy to prepare desserts.  Just click on Recipe categories and
choose from there.  A lot of them could be integrated into a unit
because most of them are very easy to make.  You could include in
your unit following directions and measurements. I used to love to
ask my students to make their own recipe before I gave them a real
recipe.  Most had no idea what measurements would be appropriate.
Nancy

Glad you are back! I hope that you will include some lesson
plans/ideas on fractions and estimation. I am desperate! Thanks...
Cathy Sandberg

I am in desperate need of a few things if you could help. I need some
EASY science center and experiment projects/ideas for 1st graders. I
have magnets, sink/float and growing things but I would like
something "fresh". I am also in need of some grandparent's day ideas.
Our grandparents will be coming to school the day before Thanksgiving
for a few hours. I would like a way of incorporating them into our
day. We are not having an "official" program but I would like to do
something together. Maybe mini-centers or something. Thanks for all
of your help! Michell

Thanks for the emails! I have already used several of the resources
that you shared. I am a sixth-grade teacher and am working on
a "Jamestown" theme. I would greatly appreciate in suggestions that
you might have.
Sincerely,
Richard Upright

Do you still do a thought for the Day newsletter? I really did enjoy
it before.
Jim

Comment:
Yes, I still send it out.  It has a thought for the day, and a recipe
of the day.
http://members.amaonline.com/nrogers/Kitchen

Re: Substitute teacher ideas.

I found the following particularly useful:

Pick up a copy of Mind Joggers and/or More Mind Joggers .
These books have a wealth of ideas that can be used as fillers during
the day
and the children love them.

Keep a poetry book in your bag. These are also good for fillers.
Children from 3rd grade up also like to listen to the stories of the
wise Mrs. Piggle Wiggle. Each is a read of about 20 minutes.

Put a mind bender on the board when you first arrive.  Challenge the
children to work on it during the day ON THEIR OWN TIME and go over
it
at the end of the day.

Let the children get to know you. Allow them to ask you  questions
which you will answer within reason. I usually did this first thing
in
the morning.

Find Your Match -The children get up from their seats. You announce
a category (favorite, season, color, book. movie; number of family
members, pets etc. etc.) The class then has 1-2 minutes to find
others who share their interest and form a group. When time is up,
ask each group their group answer. This is a good activity for
transitions.

The National Gallery of Art can bring the visual arts into your
classroom, organization, television network, or library. This
federally-funded program has over 120 free-loan education resources.
Titles, ranging in format from color slide programs and teaching
packets, to videocassettes, Cd-roms and DVDs. The varied program
topics provide opportunities for use in
non-art curricula such as social studies, literature, and foreign
languages.
Learnhow to borrow these programs, by visiting:
http://www.nga.gov/education/ep-main.htm.

to have the newsletter sent to my school address since I check that
more often (and it is faster) than my home computer. My school email
is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] I would no longer need it sent to
this address which is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Thanks,
Michele Woods

What resources, workshops, lesson plans are available free of charge
for teacing the keyboard and typing in the home. I am a retired mom
after 29 years as a secretary/support staff. I am tutoring a member
of my church in use of the computer at her home. There is the need to
develop her knowledge of the keyboard and proper typing skills. She
has her own computer and know how to access the internet, 2 finger
typing, etc. but don't know the keyboard or Home Row Keys. Would
appreciate your help.
Sandra

Hi Nancy,
OBVIOUS LETTERS was created it as an ABC book with a concept that
would help children to learn faster.

OBVIOUS LETTERS shows the letters in a most obvious manner. It not
only allows the child/student to SEE the letters and HEAR their
sounds but offer the possibility to copy the very same pages (at no
additional costs) and color those. Therefore students can bring in
their own creativity; they can be proud of their work, which helps
them to learn faster.
http://www.1second.com/edu_easy.html

For those interested in purchasing this book
Obvious Letters: The Associative Alphabet Every Child Will Remember
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/0966421701/whatscookalic-20

Comment:
I was sent a copy of this book.  It is very good.  I was impressed
with it.  Thank you Gisela for sending it.  I have shared it with the
library of a local school so other teachers could see it as well.
Nancy

Pen Pals
This area is for homeschooled parents or teachers to request pen pals
for their children or classrooms.

Hi! I'm a new 5th grade teacher and would love to be pen pals with
another 5th grade class (maybe even with a first year teacher like
myself!). I'm in the Palo Alto, Ca school district and have 18
students in my class. If there's anyone, particularly from Kauai, HI,
let me know!
Thanks! [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 ~jackie~

Fractions and Estimating Resources
I will put other requests in future newsletters.  I was amazed when I
went out to search for resources for Fractions and estimation.  I
found several sites that said This site was hacked by Chinese. There
must be some people out there that dislike fractions a lot to go and
hack sites just because they are there.  I will put more resources on
when there is less chance that the Hacked by Chinese group get off
the topic of fractions.

Fraction Worksheets from Edhelper
http://www.edhelper.com/fractions.htm

Interactive Math Worksheet
http://www.learningwave.com/engage/fractions/

Fraction Lesson Plan Worksheets from Lesson Plan Central
http://lessonplancentral.com/lessons/Math/Math_Worksheets/Fractions/

Create Fraction Worksheets
http://www.aplusmath.com/Worksheets/Fractions.html

Free Math Worksheets
http://www.bcpl.net/~owl/homeschool/HomeschoolingOnTheCheap.Math3html

Mathbulider Fraction Worksheets
http://www.mathbuilder.com/fractions.htm

Superkids Math Worksheet
http://www.superkids.com/aweb/tools/math/fraction/improper/

Free Math Worksheets, Includes Fractions
http://www.tlsbooks.com/mathworksheets.htm

Fraction Tutor
http://www.lessontutor.com/sv1.html

Rules for Fractions from GoMath
http://www.gomath.com/exercises/algebra.asp

A Tour of Fractions
http://mathforum.org/paths/fractions/

Fresh Baked Fractions Game
http://www.funbrain.com/fract/

Visual Fractions Online Tutor
http://www.visualfractions.com/

Fractions - Comparing, Adding Subtraction and many more topics
http://www.aaamath.com/B/fra.htm

Jamestown Resources

Outline of American History - Jamestown
http://odur.let.rug.nl/~usa/H/1994/ch1_p6.htm

Archiving Early America
http://earlyamerica.com/

The Establishment of Jamestown and the Decline of Indian Power
http://marauder.millersv.edu/~columbus/papers/griffith.html

History is Fun - Jamestown
http://www.historyisfun.org/

A Hypertext on American History from the colonial period until Modern
Times
http://odur.let.rug.nl/usanew/

A History of Jamestown
http://www.historian.org/local/jamstwnva.htm

Jamestown, Virginia, 1607-1907: An Overview
http://curry.edschool.virginia.edu/socialstudies/projects/jvc/overview
.html

Jamestown Thinkquest Activity
http://tqjunior.thinkquest.org/5226/final1.htm

Jamestown History
http://www.apva.org/history/

Jamestown
http://www.williamsburg.com/james/james.html

JamesQuest, Discovering Virginia's First Colony
http://curry.edschool.virginia.edu/socialstudies/projects/jvc/unit/web
quests/

October Stuff
October Bulletin Boards - Includes other months and themes as well
http://www.teachingheart.net/bboard.html

Pumpkins 101
Sections of the history of carving pumpkins, how to choose the right
pumpkin, what tools to use, traditional methods, using stncils, how
to extend the life-span of a carved pumpkin, and photographing jack
o' lanterns
http://www.pumpkin-carving.com/halloween_contents.html

Pumpkin Nook
Everything from growing pumpkins to carving them up.
http://www.pumpkinnook.com/

History of Halloween and How to Carve Pumpkins
http://www.theholidayspot.com/halloween/jack_o_lantern.htm

Halloween Coloring Sheets
http://www.kidsdomain.com/holiday/halloween/color.html

Crafts for Kids for Halloween
http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/halloween/

Links for Every Day Stuff

Virus List - Updated almost daily
http://www.viruslist.com/eng/default.asp

Cool Word of the Day
http://www.edu.yorku.ca/wotd/

Daily Wisdom Online
http://www.gospelcom.net/gci/dw/

Crossword of the Day
http://www.quizland.com/cotd.htm

Crossword of the Day - AOL
http://my.aol.com/entertainment/crossword/crossword.psp

Daily Cryptogram
http://www.public.usit.net/jparsly/

Consumer Online - Online Consumer Advice
http://www.consumerline.org/

Math Net's Daily Puzzle
http://www.mathsnet.net/dailypuzzle.html

Washington Post Daily Crossword Puzzles