From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:
Thursday, October 10, 2002 10:39 PM
 Subject: UPDATE: We Have Many Voices, Volume 2 Issue 19,
October 12, 2002

UPDATE: We Have Many Voices, Volume 2 Issue 19, October 12, 2002

We Have Many Voices - Native American Ezine

Announcment From The bi-monthly ezine "We Have Many Voices"
We have updated our website where we bring you the news behind the news.

A brief description of each article is listed below, and you may read
them in their entirety at our web page:
We Have Many Voices Ezine
http://www.turtletrack.org/ManyVoices/

Indians Urged to Use Ancestral Diet
by Jim Killackey - The Oklahoman

TULSA -- Oklahoma's American Indians, who develop diabetes at a rate four times higher than the general population, will be urged today to return to an ancestral diet stressing leaner bison meat, green vegetables and nuts instead of fast food, soft drinks and sugary breakfast cereals.

"Prior to 1936, there were no known cases of diabetes among Native Americans," said Liz Gray, coordinator of the second "Return to Your Roots" conference for representatives of the state's 39 Indian tribes.

I live in
Hollywood but I am still Indian
by Roscoe Pond

I don’t know how much of our lives we are allowed to choose. The belief that our paths are paved for us at birth is sometimes true and other times questionable. I have to believe that I had no choice in this life. I was born into tradition, culture and respect. I grew up in the
Pacific Northwest on the Umatilla (Yuma-till-a) Indian Reservation. I know now that my life was made possible by the Elders of my youth.

Pathways to Better Health:
A Feature of the Pick Your Path to Health Campaign
by Cathy McCarthy

Mitakuye Oyasin, All My Relations
On my drive into work, I see my cousin walking down the street, and pick her up. She tells me she’s on the way to the store to buy vegetables for Grandma who is back home looking after my sister’s kids. My sister works at two jobs in order to make enough to support Grandma and two elderly aunts as well as her own family. I drop my cousin at the store knowing that some other family member will pass by and give her a lift back to Grandma’s.

Lakota and Arapaho Carry Sovereignty Message Through Heartland
by Brenda Norrell

PINE RIDGE, S.D. – Stretching to join the Sovereignty Run across
America, Lakotas Shawn Yankton and Douglas Pourier, both 24, say running to carry an urgent message is nothing new for Lakota.
"It's what our people used to do. It is our tradition," Pourier says as this link begins in the bordertown of Scenic.

Bands call for mediation
by Brett Larson, Mille Lacs Messenger Staff Writer

The latest letter from the Ojibwe bands’ biologists to officials with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources expressed dissatisfaction with the DNR’s plan to deal with a 70,000-pound overharvest of walleye on
Mille Lacs Lake. The Sept. 13 letter suggested mediation between the bands and the state and provided a list of potential mediators.

Legacy of George Catlin
by Kasey Wolf Weaver

Last week while looking for something to do, I came across the web page for the
Smithsonian American Art Museum. It featured highlights from its current exhibit of artwork by George Catlin. George Catlin became known for his depiction of Indian people, portraits of leaders and record of manners and customs. The Smithsonian features an almost complete collection of Catlin’s first Indian Art Gallery originally painted in the 1830’s.

Enviro-Rants >From an All Natural Soapbox
by Jamie Lockard

DENVER - Near a poisonous patch of ground in the shadow of Colorado's Rocky Mountains, mule deer graze on native prairie grasses, bald eagles build their nests, and foxes and coyotes hunt prairie dogs.

The "How To" Series
by Lynne Sageflower Pennington

Lynne is feeling a little under the weather. We wish her a speedy recovery.

Action Alerts
collected from various sources

The "Stoic" Indian
by Paul Barry

In each issue, you will find a funny story here. Perhaps, even a true story
or one with a moral.

Voices" in the body of the email.

Thank you!
The Many Voices Staff,

Lynne Pennington, Webmaster, Arts and Crafts
Donna Ennis, Health Issues
Kasey Weaver, Environmental and Health Issues
Jamie Lockard, Environmental Issues
Raven Weaver, News Research & Administration
Vicki Lockard, Legal & Political Issues
Paul Barry, Go-Fer

"We Have Many Voices" is a free, bi-weekly, online Newsletter addressing
issues of interest to Native Americans, Alaska Natives, and First Nations
people. We do not provide subscriber or visitor names to anyone. Some
articles presented in "We Have Many Voices" may contain copyright material.
We have received appropriate permissions for republishing any articles.
Material appearing here is distributed without profit or monetary gain to
those who have expressed an interest. This is in accordance with Title 17
U.S.C. section 107 Fair Use doctrine of international copyright law.

"We Have Many Voices" is a copyright 2001 of Lynne Pennington, Kasey
Weaver, Raven Weaver, Donna Ennis, Jamie Lockard, Paul Barry and Vicki Lockard.