19 nov 2001 Status report
 -----------------------------

I maintained two computers with the ip addresses from different ISPs and
managed to establish connection. I was forced to increase the timeout values
in file VPNManager.cpp:

#define GNUTELLASEARCHTIME    60 //  it was 30
#define HANDSHAKEMESSAGETIME  30 //  it was 15

Before this change I was getting the Unable message and a log message in
file efvpn.log:
   Handshake failed!. Partnership
   file:EFP3a13d636ea0bc6883ac7df6716818359.ecf
on timeout in VpnConnectToRemoteNet.

After the connection had been established I saw the remote computer appeared
in my computer chain. Now I understand why there is no support provided to
connect to a host in my own LAN: the local computers are listed in the chain
by default. I have the same interface to access both local and remote
computers. And so I believe that the tunneling capability is implement for
computers in my network, it will also work for remote computers as well. I
will add a new tab in the Property dialog named "VNC", which will contain
one check box "Enable VNC tunneling".

By the end of the year, I must show the VNC traffic passing through the
Kaboodle tunnel. Though, some enhancements will probably be needed to ensure
the full functionality.

I also have some notes:

1. I cannot possibly remove or change my account at the echofree web server.
So I was forced to create a new account each time my ip changed.

2. I found no useful application of the property dialog so far. No useful
information about the other computer is provided.

3. When I applied the warning level 4 to compile the code, I got over 100
warnings, most of which being "local variable not used" or even "possible
use of variable before initialization", which I used to consider be
potential errors.

Oleg