Hello Scott.

A)
Your "RE: [Kaboodle-devel] 25 Feb 2002 Status report" is very interesting.
Before it Kaboodle used own real IP address for joining with WinVnc server and Vnc viewer.
Now Kaboodle uses IP address (127.0.0.1) for joining with WinVnc server.
WinVNC3 server registry key is AllowLoopback=1 and LoopbackOnly=1.
WinVnc server works successfully.
But if Kaboodle used IP address (127.0.0.1) for joining with Vnc viewer -
successful join does not occur.
And now Kaboodle uses own real IP address for joining with Vnc viewer.

B)
> A clarification needed:..
> So is this correct:
> PC1 VNC Viewer sends data to PC1 loopback (127.0.0.1) port 4000
> PC1 Kaboodle listens to 127.0.0.1 port 4000
> PC1 Kaboodle packs, encrypts and sends data to PC2 LAN address port 4000
> PC2 Kaboodle listens to LAN address port 4000
> PC2 Kaboodle unpacks, decrypts and sends data to PC2 loopback port 5900
> PC2's VNC Server listens to loopback port 5900
> Correct?

Similars, but not at all correct.
Kaboodle on PC1 works as follows.
1) Kaboodle creates client TCP socket with PC2 IP address on port 4000 and waits determinations of join.
We will name this socket "Kaboodle partner socket".
2) Kaboodle starts VNC Viewer with command line a.b.c.d:xyz, where
a.b.c.d is own real IP address, xyz is port number from field "Connect to Vnc" of "Vnc setup" ProperyTab.
3) Kaboodle creates server TCP socket with own real IP address and port number above (xyz)
We will name this socket "VNC Viewer socket".
4) Kaboodle exchanges data between socket "Kaboodle partner socket" and socket "VNC Viewer socket".
(Details of encoding, packing,... are missing)

Kaboodle on PC2 works as follows.
1) Kaboodle creates server TCP socket with PC1 IP address on port 4000 and waits determinations of join.
("Kaboodle partner socket").
2) Kaboodle starts WinVNC server.
3) Kaboodle creates client TCP socket with 127.0.0.1 IP address and port number above (xyz)
We will name this socket "WinVNC socket".
4) Kaboodle exchanges data between socket "Kaboodle partner socket" and socket "WinVNC socket".
(Details of encoding, packing,... are missing)

C)
> When Kaboodle on PC2 sends data to the VNC server on PC2,
> does it use the LAN address or the loopback address? If LoopbackOnly
> isn't working for you, I suspect it's using the LAN address in that
> step.
Now Kaboodle uses IP address (127.0.0.1) for joining with WinVnc server.
WinVNC3 server registry key is AllowLoopback=1 and LoopbackOnly=1.
WinVnc server works successfully.

D)
> Good point. We could do it this way: fix the number of
> simultaneously executing flows to, say, 100. If there are 10 machines
> on the LAN to scan, we check the lowest 10 ports first (5900-5909)
> on all of them. If there are only 5 machines, we check the lowest
> 20 ports. If there's just 1 machine to check, we do all 100 at the
> same time. That might be the best balance between speed, heuristics,
> and socket usage.

I work on this presently.

E)
Now about Kaboodle possibility "Allow only Kaboodle users to connect to this machine".
When PC1 Kaboodle checks change of LAN Kaboodle which don't "use Kaboodle to control the startup Vnc server",
then PC1 Kaboodle must update WinVnc server registry value "AuthHosts".
If WinVnc not running on PC1 - ok.
If WinVnc running on PC1, then Kaboodle ask to user:
"You must restart WinVnc server"
"Please complete the following steps:"
"-Stop current WinVnc server,"
"-Choose 'OK' in this window,"
"-Restart WinVnc server."
"OK      CANCEL"
If user chooses the button "CANCEL" - he knows that it does.
It will get warning:
"You have cancelled Kaboodle option"
"Allow only Kaboodle users to connect to this machine"
"OK"
Otherwise noted above possibility is executed.
One more small remark.
Pre Akmosoft class CEFController has redefied function DoMessageBox(...).
It realizes not standard MessageBox.
But it executes this only for single button "OK".
For other buttons we get standard MessageBox.

-Igor