Hello Scott.
First. About the value of status column.

Scott wrote:
> Sounds good, but I don't think "b" needs there to be "Enable
> Kaboodle Tunnels" activated. As long as Kaboodle can start VNC when
> it's needed, we can call it "automatic".

About #b.
As you know, if there is not active "Enable Kaboodle Tunnels" for a PCn then
Kaboodle on the PCN doesn't listen VNC session via "Kaboodle Tunnels".
Therefore if status column for the PCn will be "automatic" when
- PCn doesn't running independent VNC Server,
- PCn have active option "Let Kaboodle auto start and restart the VNC Server
when it needs to",
- we do not take into account option "Enable Kaboodle Tunnels",
it means that
- we cannot connect to PCn directly,
- we doesn't know can we connect to PCn through Kaboodle or no.

My suggestion is as prior:
Status is "automatic" when
no "running independent VNC Server",
simultaneously "running Kaboodle" with both options
"Enable Kaboodle Tunnels for VNC"
and "Let Kaboodle auto start and restart the VNC Server when it needs to.
Please let me know what do you think above "First".

Second. About button "Connect".
Scott wrote:
> I think we should add "I prefer to:" above the two Connect
> choices. Then we should try to connect in that manner first, and
> the other way second. The "more secure" should be the default
> selected radio button. We shouldn't not try to connect in the
> second way if the first, preferred way fails.

Kaboodle can "Connect through Kaboodle (more secure)" only if partner has
option
"Enable Kaboodle Tunnels". Therefore when a user push button "Connect"
Kaboodle can
1) - try to connect "more secure" ,if partner PC has option "Enable Kaboodle
Tunnels",
2) - connect directly, if partner PC doesn't has option "Enable Kaboodle
Tunnels" and
has running independent VNC Server.
Please let me know what do you think above "Second".

-Igor

> [...]
> > 1) running Kaboodle or
> > 2) running independent VNC Server.
> > Status column will be
> > a) "active" when #2;
> > b) "automatic" when no #2, simultaneously #1 with both options "Enable
> > Kaboodle Tunnels for VNC"
> > and "Let Kaboodle auto start and restart the VNC Server when it needs
> > to";
> > c) "off" in other case.
>
> Sounds good, but I don't think "b" needs there to be "Enable
> Kaboodle Tunnels" activated. As long as Kaboodle can start VNC when
> it's needed, we can call it "automatic".
>
> > What action has to do Kaboodle if user pushes the button "Connect"?
> > May be it is
> > - "Connect Directly (slightly faster)" for #a;
> > - "Connect through Kaboodle (more secure)" for #b,
> > - nothing (button is gray) for #c.
> >
> > Please let me know what you think.
>
> I think we should add "I prefer to:" above the two Connect
> choices. Then we should try to connect in that manner first, and
> the other way second. The "more secure" should be the default
> selected radio button. We shouldn't not try to connect in the
> second way if the first, preferred way fails.
>

> > > 3. The log file Checkbox I described last week.
> >
> > At 04/25/2002 08:49:28 your wrote (Message: 8495270):
> > >Lastly...I think it would be useful for Kaboodle to help
> > >log VNC server usage. So, at the bottom of the PropPanel, a checkbox
> > >can say "Log VNC usage" with a "View Log..." button next to it
> > >that's grayed out if the checkbox is off. If the user selects this
> > >CheckBox, we activate set DebugMode and DebugLevel to 1, and then
> > >show the Winvnc.log file in Notepad when "View Log..." is hit.
> >
> > There are some problems.
> > First.
> > A user tries to open a Winvnc.log file in Notepad. Notepad doesn't show
> > the file properly.
> > The reason is following. The Winvnc.log file has only one symbol for
> > line break (0xA).
> > Notepad wants two symbols for line break (0xD) (0xA).
> > I can write a simple special viewer (KaboodlePad.exe) and include it in
the
> > Kaboodle project.
> > It seems to me that will be no more then one day of my working.
>
> Okay, lets do that. Good idea.
>
> > Second.
> > At the Win32 VNC Server documentation I have found
> > *DebugMode 2 = Output to log file Winvnc.log in the WinVNC directory*.
> > But on my PC I have found that above directory is "C:\".
> > My suggestion is following.
> > User push button "View Log...".
> > Kaboodle check WinVNC directory and "C:\" directory.
> > If it failed then Kaboodle prompt to user something MessageBox as
> > "Please help to find file Winvnc.log".
> > There are two buttons "YES", "NO".
>
> Sure. Maybe "Sorry...Kaboodle cannot find the WinVNC.log file
> in the usual places." with "Browse..." and "Cancel" would be better.
>
> > Third.
> > When user activate or deactivate check box *Log VNC usage*, then
Kaboodle
> > have to
> > change VNC Server registry. If there is running independent VNC Server,
then
> > Kaboodle must
> > prompt to user
> > "Kaboodle needs to restart your VNC server for setting *Log VNC usage*
> > take effect."
> > My suggestion is following.
> > Kaboodle doesn't erase the change of VNC Server value *Log VNC usage*
> > (remember value *AllowLoopback*).
> >
> > Please let me know what you think.
>
> If Kaboodle has already been given permission to restart
> the server (ie, with the "Let Kaboodle re-start..." checkbox) then
> we should just restart the server. If not, we should prompt the
> user with the usual "Please restart the VNC Server for these
> changes to take effect".
> Besides that...treating the Log usage registry entry in
> the same way that we treat AllowLoopback sounds fine.
>
> thanks,
> Scott

> > - Igor

VNC