VK:
        Heya. As far as I know, npadmin is just an SNMP tool that's
customized for printers is all. You could as easily use the snmpwalk
(http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/) tool, or simply customize some code
to send SNMP-like requests to a printer asking for the relevant info.
        Alternatively, you could ask the printer for its info with
an HTTP request. The "idserve" program from GRC (find it at:
http://grc.com/id/idserve.htm) does little more than this. Some
similar source code can be seen for the "httptype" application:
"http://freshmeat.net/projects/httptype/";.

-Scott