21 May 2002 Status report
--------------------------

>I think the file-transfer should send backward confirmation
>handshakes, yes, but I *don't* think that "block N" should be held
>up in the transmitter until "block N-1" is confirmed (I believe
>FTP does it this way). So, the transmitter sends data, the receiver
>confirms receipt, and the transmitter verifies that it got a
>receipt for every block when it's done. If necessary, at the end
>of the transfer, the transmitter resends the block(s) it didn't get
>a confirmation for.
>Doable?

I am afraid, no. At least as it is stated here. The main objection is
that doing so, we will duplicate the functionality provided by
TCP/IP stack. What are we going to do with the "blocks"
N, N+1, :? We'll have to prestore them in order to glue
afterwards. That's what TCP does! The problem is *not* the one of
loosing some blocks from the meddle as they go, but that some
critical error may occur on receiver that prevents it from getting the
rest of the transfer. It could be, for example, lack of room. From
this point of view, the best way out could be: 1 sender sends blocks
without waiting for confirmation (as you have suggested), 2. sender
listens at the same time for a error message from receiver. Once such
message has come, the transfer stops and revokes. 3. In the end of
transfer, receiver sends back a success message. On that message,
sender closes socket and tells the user that it's all right.
Q: How long must the sender wait for the success confirmation
message to come after the last block has been sent? Is a time out
needed? Why, the receiver may have died after all. And how about
the progress bar? I guess, it begins to show 100% once the last block
has gone but the final OK message pops up upon success
confirmation only (well, it may be not a pop-up but some other
event instead - does not matter). On time out expiration, a error box
pops up. How about that?

-Oleg