VK:
        Here's what I suggest: when Kaboodle starts up, it should
query the LAN for a Kaboodle NID using the usual means. If it gets
one, it then knows what PC's on the LAN are running Kaboodle, and
so it doesn't need to go find anything. If it doesn't get a response
to its initial NID request, it should then continue with "normal"
LAN discovery (ie, ping everything, OS characterize, etc).

-Scott