Dalibor Topic wrote:

See the xdebugging support (FAQ.xdebugging) for a way to generate debugging information in jitted code siutable for gdb.

You can take a look at the emitted code from the jitter by configuring and building kaffe with --enable-debug and using kaffe -vmdebug JIT to run your classes.

I had tried a bit of this before, but it seems that I finally got the right combination of things. Good grief, 60,000 lines of asm for hello world.

I expect implementing the new code could be done really cleanly (and quickly) by someone who really understands how the JIT is implemented. I'm just having a tough time figuring that out.

See FAQ.jit3 for a nice overview of how jit3 works.

It's my understanding that there is no JIT3 for Alpha. Is that the case? I definately need to stick with Alpha at this point. I found a pretty good summary of the JIT process, though, which helped clear things up some.

Out of curiosity: There is an alpha simulator for intel macines? Is it free software?

I am using SSMT
http://maggini.eng.umd.edu/vortex/ssmt.html

It is based on Simplescalar
http://www.simplescalar.com/

I am using SSMT because I need its multithreading ability. As far as I know, you can set up simplescalar on an x86-linux machine to emulate an alpha-linux machine without too much difficulty (although I haven't done it myself). I actually have an Alpha box. It's what I use to compile. I tried getting cross-compilation to work, but could never make a working x86->alpha-osf compiler.