Adam Heath wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Jim Pick wrote:

So now, I'm posting publically.  What do all the existing developers
think about switching?

I'm all for switching, if it doesn't inconvenience anyone.

There are lots of places that currently access kaffe cvs directly.  Notifying
all of those users is going to be a pain.

Some people might have a whole bunch of changes in their working tree
that haven't been checked in yet.

Not just that, but people who are using cvs may not be reading this list.

I'm fine with CVS and I'd really hate to install svn on all my strange
boxes. CVS is very proven and portable. Maybe it is possible to get CVS
in "read only" export? I don't even have commit access.

That might be possible, I see a howto here:

http://sam.zoy.org/writings/programming/svn2cvs.html

It's certainly possible to setup a readonly cvs copy of a read/write svn
repository.  But unless we switch off cvs at some point, users who only do
readonly checkouts will never be inclined to switch.

Well, if we can get a readonly cvs copy working, then they don't have to switch.

I've been using svn for my own personal repository of stuff for about 2
years, and I've been quite happy with it.

It would take some time to prototype this, but I'm willing to do the
work.  I think I'd like to set up a single-purpose Xen session on my new
server to host it.

We have a xen setup already to go.  3 xen servers, large file server, gigabit
nfsroot.  kaffe.brainfood.com is a 512m(ram), 40g setup running 2 tinderboxes
already.

Cool. I had heard rumours of some such beast. I guess I should hang out on irc more often. :-)

It would be cool to split some of the servers across multiple physical locations to provide some redundancy...

Cheers,

 - Jim