Hi Simon,

> I'm new to kaffe and this list. I'm interested in a free JVM for DOS, so
> Kaffe looked like a good choice, but it seems the DOS port is _not_
> under GPL, presumably it has to be licensed from TVT?

Yes.  I believe Transvirtual provides a DOS port for their version
of Kaffe.

> Is there any work to produce a DOS port under GPL (or similar)? If it
> doesn't already exist, I'm reasonably interested in at least attempting
> this (using djgpp, tcplib, allegro etc) - any thoughts on this?

I know of no GPL port, but if you're interested in creating one, go ahead.
If there's sufficient interest for a GPL'ed DOS port of kaffe, I'm sure it
will happen.

> I did try to search the archives for this, but kept getting 'document
> contains no data' messages.

the mailing list archive is reachable for me, are you sure you have the
right URL?  Your msg for instance is archived as
http://rufus.w3.org/tools/Kaffe/messages/5138.html
Rufus has been having some problems lately (because of RH6?), that may
also be the reason.

        - Godmar