Chris,

Thanks for stepping up to help here. Based on feedback from various members
on general@, I think it is wiser to do the source release, with the README
having a "How to build and download dependencies" section.

We still have to go through all the jars we package in our source release,
and right now we have about 17 of those. To reduce this overhead, I worked
on KAFKA-222. I would encourage everyone to review this JIRA closely -

Since the build file for the contrib module has changed, can people who use
hadoop-consumer and hadoop-producer help test it out ?

Thanks,
Neha