Hi,

Just want to give people a quick update on the progress on kafka
replication. We have more or less finalized the replication design (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/kafka+Detailed+Replication+Design+V3)
and I encourage everyone to take a look and send us additional
feedback/comment.

Most of the remaining work for replication is listed as subtasks
under KAFKA-50. Currently, we have people working on the following jiras:

KAFKA-46: Commit thread, ReplicaFetcherThread for intra-cluster replication
KAFKA-336: Admin RPC between controller and broker
KAFKA-335: Embedded controller
KAFKA-339: Multifetch for follower

The first 3 jiras are blocking most of other jiras related to replication
and we hope to have those resolved in the next couple of weeks. Before
then, the following jiras can still be worked on more or
less independently and we welcome  contribution from the community.
KAFKA-288: rework java producer API
KAFKA-289: reuse TopicData when sending produce request
KAFKA-329: Create topic support (revisit based on v3 design)

Thanks,

Jun