I'd be happy to collaborate on this, though it's been a while since I've used
PHP.

From what it looks like, what you have is a true proxy that runs outside of
Kafka and translates some REST routes into Kafka client calls. This sounds more
in line with what the project page describes. What I have proposed is more like
a translation layer between some REST routes and FetchRequests. In this case
the client is responsible for managing offsets. Using the consumer groups and
ZooKeeper would be another nice way of consuming messages (which is probably
more like what you have).

Any maintainers have feedback on this?