On 04/21/2015 08:23 AM, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 9:13 PM, Mads Kiilerich <m...@kiilerich.com> wrote:
On 04/20/2015 06:51 AM, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
I would go for:
- pull request author: full name (username)
- pull request reviewers: full name (username)
- pull request commit overview: username only

For changeset/changelog displaying, I'm not fully sure: suppose
someone uses the same e-mail to commit under two different display
names, for example 'John Doe' and 'John Doe (scripted)'. In this case,
one would probably expect the name from the commit header to appear in
the changeset/changelog details.
But the correlation to the actual user as known in Kallithea is also
useful, so we should show that too, at least in the changeset details.
In case both the name in the commit header, and the name known to
Kallithea is the same, there would be some duplication if we show
both, though. Maybe we should show both but clearly indicate that one
is coming from the commit header and the other (if available) is the
detail from Kallithea.

Currently we always use the user entry and show the username if the email
address is known (and we allow the system to email the user - we will never
spam users / email addresses that are unknown to the system). I think that
is fine. If the user wants to commit under different names, he should use
different email addresses.
While I understand your reasoning, it doesn't work in a corporate
environment where you have only one e-mail address and no easy way to
create aliases.
I'm not saying that e-mail address should no longer be unique in
Kallithea. I'm just saying that if a user commits with a name
different than the name in Kallithea (under the same e-mail address)
we should not ignore that or hide it in Kallithea.

I will put it the other way around: If you have a corporate environment where the users have different roles that must be kept separate then it makes totally sense to require that the users have several email addresses. It is not a good idea to encode that semantics in the more free form username part of the email field.

Anyway: Most email servers allows specifying a custom part of the email address - such as patrickdepinguin+he...@gmail.com . That can perhaps also be used in your case to separate roles?

I often see a lot of different spellings of the users names in our system but their email is usually written correctly. In our case, I just want to see the normalized name based on the email address.

/Mads