Hi Matt,

2009/1/7 Matt <matt.hamm...@rd.bbc.co.uk>

> I think you're right - I'm pretty sure we don't have any components
> that provide quite what you're after. But they don't sound too
> difficult to write.

I ended up writing my own framer and deframer. It's not too difficult,
just error prone.

> With your mention of bits, do I take it you're after conveying binary,
> rather than textual payloads? (eg. payloads that might contain byte
> values equivalent to characters such as newline)
> Would I also be right in guessing that you intend to pass these
> messages across a TCP connection, rather than as UDP packets? If
> either of these is the case, then the Framer and DeFramer components
> you spotted won't be up to the job, even if you did add dummy tag
> values.

Ahh yes, Framer uses newlines for its own purposes! My framer simply
prepends each message with a length and reads that many octets from
the socket before passing the message up. So I should be ok now.

> That said, I think it is perfectly reasonable to use the DataChunker
> and DataDeChunker components in the manner you describe - by sending a
> sync sequence immediately after a message to flush it through the
> dechunker. The other thing to consider is that you wouldn't actually
> need to frame the payload by prefixing it with its size - since the
> sync bytes delimit it. Probably would need a few extra components
> writing to achieve this though (or the creation of modified versions
> of DataChunker and DataDeChunker)

That is true. I think I got a little bit put off by Michael's comments
which sort of indicated that the components weren't being actively
maintained at the moment (this is probably just my misconception).
Also, it seems a bit yucky to me to flush after each message even if
it isn't such a big deal.

In any case I've written my own framer which was very easy to do
within the Kamaelia framework. I haven't tested it properly at all so
it is probably horribly broken ;-)

--
 ! Lauri