Hi Gloria,

> And ServerCore seems to be two components linked together, while the
> first example is a derivative component.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you explain?

> I cannot see where an outbox is determined to default to stdout, like
> the first example,  or a remote console, like the second example. Where
> in the stack is this presumed and defaulted?

Neither example has any outbox that is "determined to default to stdout".
The console output in the first example is generated by the 'print'
statement(s) in it.

The second example creates a new class derived from the ServerCore class.
This new class uses the ChatClient function as its protocol.

One of those pipelines will be created every time a client connects
(because ServerCore calls the ChatClient function, which returns a new
instance of that pipeline). This is then wired up to communicate with the
client. This behaviour is described here:

http://www.kamaelia.org/Components/pydoc/Kamaelia.Chassis.ConnectedServer.html

Hopefully those docs should clear it up.

In short, its not "presumed or defaulted" - its what the ServerCore
component does.

In case this is a cause of confusion, doing this:

    class ChatServer(ServerCore):
        protocol = ChatClient

    ChatServer(port=1501).run()

...achieves basically the same thing as doing this:

    ChatServer(protocol=ChatClient, port=1501).run()

Matt