Hi all,

I recently came across the PyCon 2009 video of the Kamaelia presentation.
I'm not too familiar with either Twisted or Kamaelia.  Kamaelia seems to be
an "improvement" over twisted, but I just want to see if my analysis is
correct.

It seems to me that the major "contribution" of twisted is that it lets you
do I/O asynchronously.  More specifically, it provides a structured way to
be notified of asynchronous I/O event via callbacks.  Other than that, it's
pretty much just a select() loop.

Kamaelia builds on the ideas of twisted, but:
1.  It uses (a somewhat limited form of) coroutines instead of events.  In
this way, it's similar to Stackless or Greenlets except it uses standard
Python.  The net result is an event-driven program that looks and feels like
it's threaded (at least a little bit).
2.  It has a strong component model.  This is something lacking in twisted?
Anyway, Kamaelia makes it relatively easy to create components and connect
them together.

So, is this analysis generally correct?  Kamaelia is similar to twisted in
that it is an asynchronous, event-driven framework at its core; but it hides
the details a little better (and provides a more formal component model)?

Thanks,

Nathan Davis