Hi,

Thanks for the kinds words - they're appreciated.

Help on taking things forward is appreciated, but will focus on Guild
rather than Kamaelia - though Guild could also be viewed as Kamaelia 2.0 -
building on hindsight from Kamaelia. (The key piece being that syntactic
sugar DOES matter an awful lot :-)

Whether that works for you, I don't know.

Kamaelia's status:
==============
Kamaelia is best considered "resting" in my opinion. The reason for that is
two fold:

* What is there works, and works as designed and is stable. (I still use it
for certain things which are constantly running, and haven't needing
patching or fixing in a few years)
* I'm personally not going to be adding to it - for reasons laid out in
other posts in the google group

I will still apply bug fixes if necessary though.

Kamaelia and Guild:
=================
However, as an approach, I've always liked the approach to developing
systems that I think Kamaelia has proven can work, but it was always crying
out for a better syntax, and syntactic sugar.

That's where Guild comes in - so yes, while Kamaelia is effectively
end-of-life, Guild is likely to grow with time.

Converting Kamaelia components to a Guild form is relatively
straightforward.  What I'd like to do (ideally) is actually just bridge the
Kamaelia and Guild worlds - so that Kamaelia components can be used inside
Guild (avoiding a rewrite if possible), but I've not done that yet. (The
approach Guild uses is deliberately conceptually compatible with Kamaelia)

Guild's Status
===========

Pre-alpha - but useful and usable and what's there works and is dependable.
API is subject to improvement.

Since you mention the audio components, there is a basic audio/video module
in Guild, which you can find here:

https://github.com/sparkslabs/guild/blob/master/guild/av.py

Those components are used here:

https://github.com/sparkslabs/guild/blob/master/examples/av_record.py

If you compare that with this sort of thing:
https://github.com/sparkslabs/kamaelia/tree/master/Sketches/MPS/Bindings/Alsa/

You'll see a lot of similarities. (Different libraries though)

Generally speaking though, there should be benefits in rewriting Kamaelia
components as Guild components, primarily because better syntactic sugar
makes certain sorts of things possible.

In particular, this post:

http://www.sparkslabs.com/michael/blog/2014/03/16/readable-concurrency-in-python

Shows some examples which in kamaelia would be significantly messier.

Also, the STM code from kamaelia is also brought forward meaning that if
you don't want to have the model of an active cashier managing accounts
(which is essentially the above) and want to use STM, you can have things
like this instead:

https://github.com/sparkslabs/guild/blob/master/examples/blog/accounts-stm-4.py#L53

(I haven't written a blog post of the STM form yet)

This example I think is pretty neat - even though it's just a technology
test/proof of concept really - primarily because it shows that some really
quite complex things can be wrapped up in some syntactic sugar nicely. The
decorator in that example - lines 22-50 - are likely to go into the core of
guild.

In generally, status updates will happen here:

http://www.sparkslabs.com/michael/blog/category/guild

best regards,

Michael.