Desa Bahasa, or Language Village, is the name given to the
rural hamlet of Parakan by its surrounding communities.
The hamlet is located in Ngargogondo village of Magelang
regency, Central Java, some three kilometers to the
southeast of the famous Borobudur Temple.

Despite its location at the foot of the Menoreh mountain
range, children and teenagers in this hamlet speak fluent
English. Hearing them speaking English as they play, as
though it was their native language, is no surprise here.

And that is not all. Most residents of the hamlet,
including the younger generation, are also fluent in high
Javanese, or kromo inggil as it is called, which is rarely
spoken these days even among traditional Javanese
communities.

According to Hani Sutrisno, 32, who pioneered the
establishment of Desa Bahasa, Language Village's birth was
initiated by a great concern among the younger generation
-- that they were unable to take advantage of foreign
tourists visiting nearby Borobudur due to their lack of
English mastery.

"We had Borobudur, we had foreign tourists coming in, but
we couldn't even touch them. And it was all because we
could not speak English," Hani told The Jakarta Post
during a recent visit to the hamlet.

Along with the hamlet's youths, Hani started to realize in
1998 the idea of making residents fluent in English to
widen their economic access to Borobudur.

Hani, a director of the Simple English Course (SPEC),
started providing free English classes to local teenagers.

In order to attract children to learn English, he asked at
a community meeting that their parents take the same
English course three times a week. He hoped this would
motivate the children to do the same.

"We were certain that the children would feel ashamed if
they did not join the course because even their parents
had joined up. And we were right," said Hani.

To make the course more attractive, an informal and
relaxed atmosphere was created.

The class, for example, is set out in a lesehan style, in
which participating children sit on a carpet on the floor.
Outdoor activities were also provided to provide
variation.

The outdoor class was designed specially to drill the
children in using effective English. They were encouraged
to make as many English sentences as possible by using
whatever they found in nature.

When they found a rambutan tree, for example, they were
asked to make sentences using the word rambutan.

"We used drilling and tutorial methods. Theory was given
later because through the process, they would
automatically get the theories on their own," Hani
explained.

After five years of intensive study, Parakan hamlet's
language course had become widely known as well as
popular.

Thanks to the course, the average Parakan schoolchild had
a higher score in English than those from other hamlets.

As a result, more and more children were sent to take the
Parakan language course, including those from surrounding
hamlets.

"I joined the course because my father sent me,"
third-grader Asri Octa told the Post.

Today, over 100 children are learning English at Parakan.
The language classes are conducted in several local homes,
employing the lesehan classroom style. The course is still
provided for free.

Initially, Hani was the only instructor, but now he has a
group of instructors.

"Regeneration runs very well here. We have plenty of
junior and senior high school students who are also good
tutors for the course," Hani said.

The children are divided into three classes held once a
week on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, and on Sundays, the
three classes study together.

While in class, children are obliged to speak English and
Indonesian in opposition to the language spoken by their
instructors. So if the instructors say something in Bahasa
Indonesia, the pupils are to give their response in
English; and vice-versa.

"For the stationery, we buy it from our own pockets. But
if we are running out of money, we ask the parents for
some," Hani said.

A special committee has now been founded to improve the
quality of the English course.

The committee is comprised of local public figures and the
heads of the six hamlets in Ngargogondo village, and is
tasked with supervising the language course curriculum. It
is also responsible for monitoring the course to ensure
that it will keep running on the right track, and for
selecting programs toward quality improvement.

In 2004, for example, moved by the concern that less and
less people spoke kromo inggil, or high Javanese, the
committee decided to open a special course on kromo
inggil.

"Once they have graduated from elementary school, students
are sent directly to the kromo inggil course. This is our
way of preserving tradition," said Thoha, Desa Bahasa
Committee chairman.

The committee, according to Thoha, also planned to make
Desa Bahasa a field laboratory for anyone who wanted to
master English as well as kromo inggil for free. It also
has plans to establish a language cafe there.

"People can just come and spend few days here, practicing
their English and kromo inggil for free," said Thoha,
adding that although the course was free of charge, locals
could reap benefits by providing accommodations or
fulfilling other travel needs for visiting students.

Thoha underlined that Desa Bahasa was established purely
on a local initiative, without any assistance from any
government. He said the hamlet was rarely given either
financial or technical assistance from the government,
although such assistance would be of great help.

"Indeed, we do not expect anything. We already have a very
valuable capital here, which is the support and motivation
of the entire community and the village administration.
That is more than enough," Thoha said.

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional