Keith Owens wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Sep 2001 17:05:57 +0200,
> "Giacomo A. Catenazzi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>BUG:
>>
>>$ make mrproper
>>$ make mrproper
>>Error: you must create a .config first
>>
>>mrproper should not depend on .config (contents and
>>existance).
>>

> kbuild 2.4 relies on everybody coding the mrproper targets at the top
> level which is manual and error prone.  kbuild 2.5 automatically
> generates the mrproper targets from each Makefile.in, the disadvantage
> is that it needs a config to do that.  However that only applies if
> source and object are in the same directory, if you use a separate
> object directory then make mrproper simply erases everything in the
> object directory.  I am willing to accept the need to have a config to
> do make mrproper to get an automatic cleanup.

Maybe a better solution: mrproper don't depend on .config.
If .config exists, do the actual make mrproper, else
do nothing. (or maybe cancel the ev. cml[12] generated file.
(This means you rename mrproper to mrproper-r and implement
an other mrproper. This would be an exception: make will call
another make).

>>COMMENT:
>>
>>Your documentation is extensive, but I didn't found
>>the meaning of targets.
>>

> Which targets?

target: mrproper, clean, installable, ...

BTW I didn't like "installable". Use something more ... liek a linusism,
like make world/linux/domination/free/penguin

>>BUG ?
>>
>>making arch/i386/boot/bbotsect.o:
>>old:
>>bbootsect.s: Assembler message:
>>bbootsect.s:257: Warning ....
>>new:
>>/tmp/ccM????: Assempler message
>>/tmp/ccM5???:257" Warning ...
>>
>>What is the more user-friendly message?
>>The cause: you forget '-pipe'.
>>

> -pipe does not really help.  Instead of /tmp/ccM????, -pipe results in
> messages for {standard input}.  kbuild 2.4 displays the .s name because
> bbootsect.o is built in two stages, bbootsect.S -> bbootsect.s ->
> bbootsect.o.  I will look at doing a two stage conversion in kbuild 2.5
> for .S files.  The second stage would use $(AS) instead of $(CC).

Sorry for my stupid comment. The main issue was that "kbild-2.4" use
-pipe in AS flags, kbuild-2.5 no.

>>COMMENT
>>
>>You should change the number of the phases.
>>I really don't like phase 5 before phase 4.
>>(Let a missing phase number of first compile,
>>but let the pahse always be in order)
>>

> Phase 5 is feedback from the previous run, its numbering reflects that
> it is a continuation of the previous build.  However I expect to remove
> phase 5 anyway, when I replace the individual .d and .cd files with a
> global database.  That will significantly speed things up.

More speedup? Should I insert a sleep 1 before every file build to not
burn my laptop? :-)

To speed-up more, you can remove default the verbose things in your make scripts.
(with preprocessor instead of runtime)
If user use a makefile parameter VERBOSE, the makefile vould be build verbose.

        giacomo