Tom Rini wrote:

 >On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 03:40:19PM +1000, Brendan J Simon wrote:
 >
 >>Does anyone know if kbuild-2.5-release-1.12 supports the embedded ppc
 >>boards ?
 >>I've managed to configure the 2.4.18-pre8 kernel for a custom board.
 >>"make installable" creates the vmlinux file but the embedded wrapper
 >>isn't created.
 >>
 >Correct.  At the time the stuff in arch/ppc/boot differed vastly between
 >the PPC trees and kernel.org.  But since they're synced up again now,
 >it's time to tackle arch/ppc/boot :)

Let the fun begin :)

 >>The arch/ppc/Makefile.in has a "link_subdirs(kernel mm math-emu)"
statement.
 >>The build directory (arch/ppc) has the following directories: 8260_io,
 >>kernel, mm, lib, math-emu.
 >>How does the 8260_io and lib directory get built ?
 >>
 >I _think_ I test-built an 8260 kernel but I'm not sure.

Through a little guess work and a bit of trial and error, I figured out
that kbuild-2.5 requires a Makefile.in fragment in each directory.  It
must search every directory for this file.  I think the presence of this
file (with appropriate contents) causes the directory and file to be
built.  I put a Makefile.in the arch/ppc/boot/mbx directory and things
started to happen (mostly bad things but I'm still playing).

 >>How can I get the wrapper to build.  kbuild-2.4 used the make zImage in
 >>arch/ppc/mbxboot/Makfile for kernel-2.4.0.  It is now arch/ppc/boot/mbx
 >>for 2.4.18.
 >>
 >It's arch/ppc/boot/simple in 2.4.19-preX, and that's the 'correct'
 >stuff.

I can't recall seing arch/ppc/boot/simple in my source tree (I'm at home
at the moment and will check when I get back to work tomorrow).  I'm
currently using 2.4.18-pre8 kernel and should probably patch it to 2.4.18.

 >>If I configured for pmac, how does the build system know to delve into
 >>the arch/ppc/boot/pmac directory ?
 >>
 >Well, w/ kbuild-2.4 arch/ppc/boot/Makefile controls all of that with
 >SUBDIR-$(...) statements.

Yep.  But I was asking about how kbuild-2.5 figured out this stuff.  I
think it is the Makefile.in fragments as mentioned above.

I think I have to use a combination of link_subdirs, base_target and
select funtions in the Makefile.in to build the wrapper but am not quite
sure which or how yet.  I'm also playing around with extra_cflags_all
and extra_ldflags_all.

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.