On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 23:06:39 +1000,
Greg Banks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I agree with Keith, shadow trees rock.  I think they are probably the single
>most useful feature of kbuild 2.5.  I fervently hope we end up with shadow
>trees or something like them by the end of Linux 2.5.

Greg covered almost all the points I was planning to make.

One other point: kbuild must not assume that it is running on Linux.
Users must be able to build the Linux kernel from _any_ evironment that
supports Posix and has a _small_ set of GNU tools.  This includes
Solaris, Cygwin and other host systems.  kbuild must not assume that
non-standard tools such as SCM are available.  We do not even assume
that yacc, lex, loadkeys or Perl are available.  These tools may be
needed for doing development on certain drivers but kbuild must not
require anything beyond gcc and the standard small set of utilities.

Bottom line: to support add on code and patch sets kbuild has to do the
work itself.