On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 10:53, Robert Love wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 12:44, Steven Cole wrote:
>
> > Now, I realize that this particular problem could be easily solved by
> > simply rewording the help text for CONFIG_NR_CPUS so that one text would
> > be appropriate and accurate for all archs.
> >
> > For those of you wondering why we even have multiple copies of help
> > texts scattered around different arch/xxx/Config.help files, one answer
> > is that some distributions cut out the non-relevant arch source code
> > from their shipped source trees.
> >
> > If customized help texts have any value, the configurators will have to
> > be upgraded so that either non-relevant arches are ignored, or the
> > relevant arch is searched first.
>
> Ugh this is gross.  I assumed the benefit of the localized Config.help
> entries was to push the help entries to where the code was, something
> Linus and others have wanted.  The per-arch entries, while sometimes
> useful to differentiate, I always looked at as duplication we had to
> live with by pushing the entries to the code.
>
> I would have no problem with changing the 32 or 64 in the entry to say
> "the size of your machine's words, in bits" or something.  But where
> would we put it?
>
> Just in one arch? Confusing. Back in Documentation? Counterproductive.

Just one arch is also infeasible for the situation where the available
tree has only one arch, e.g. RH 7.3 2.4.18-3 has only i386 under arch.

For the set of help texts which are applicable to many arches, having
just one copy in Documentation/Config.help (new file), might be less
counterproductive than having many replicated copies.  Especially if
some help texts get upgraded or corrected while others get left behind.

For example, wouldn't it be better to have just one text for CONFIG_IDE
in some common location like Documentation/Config.help rather that what
we have now:

[steven@spc9 linux-2.5.24-dj1]$ find . -name Config.help | xargs grep -x CONFIG_IDE
./arch/sparc64/Config.help:CONFIG_IDE
./arch/i386/Config.help:CONFIG_IDE
./arch/ppc/Config.help:CONFIG_IDE
./arch/m68k/Config.help:CONFIG_IDE
./arch/cris/drivers/Config.help:CONFIG_IDE
./arch/cris/Config.help:CONFIG_IDE
./arch/mips/Config.help:CONFIG_IDE
./arch/alpha/Config.help:CONFIG_IDE
./arch/sparc/Config.help:CONFIG_IDE
./arch/ia64/Config.help:CONFIG_IDE
./arch/arm/Config.help:CONFIG_IDE
./arch/x86_64/Config.help:CONFIG_IDE
./arch/mips64/Config.help:CONFIG_IDE
./arch/sh/Config.help:CONFIG_IDE

> So I guess we need to fix it.  And no, I am not volunteering - just
> multi-tasking during the summit (like davej!) ;-)
>
>       Robert Love

Agreed we need to fix it.

Steven