https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=526319

            Bug ID: 526319
           Summary: Feature request: IPC interface for graphical login
    Classification: Plasma
           Product: plasma-login-manager
      Version First unspecified
       Reported In:
          Platform: Arch Linux
                OS: Linux
            Status: REPORTED
          Severity: normal
          Priority: NOR
         Component: general
          Assignee: [email protected]
          Reporter: [email protected]
                CC: [email protected], [email protected]
  Target Milestone: ---

I have `sshd.service` enabled on my box, but I have not configured autologin
for `plasma-login-manager`. This is because this box mostly sits unattended,
and usually (but not always) I can do everything I need to do on CLI by ssh-ing
into it.

But sometimes I do need a graphical session for one reason or another. So my
intention is, when I need it, I would login with SSH, then use some sort of
public IPC interface (e.g. dbus) to make the login manager initiate a new
graphical session. Afterwards services like `krdpserver` would start under my
user, then I can use RDP.

Currently `org.freedesktop.DisplayManager.Seat` already has the `SwitchToUser`
method, but:
1. it seems to be not yet implemented
2. I'm not entirely sure it has the semantics I want

---

P.s. I am aware that remote login is a stated project goal, but I think this is
a more low-level and therefore different requirement. Besides the security
aspect of not starting another listening service, which admittedly the
advantage is rather nebulous, the existence of such an interface might also be
useful in other contexts.

See also: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=481912

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.

Reply via email to