Hi everyone,
I recently realized that unless you ask fellow KDE contributors personally where they live, you don't really know where over the world (or even in your home country) KDE is spread.

I think this is a pity, given that knowing that would allow us to, among other things
- show the world how globally wide-spread KDE is
- make it easier to organize local events (like release parties or just local meetups)
- determine who could help with local FOSS events where KDE could participate
- pick locations for sprints or conferences depending on minimal overall travel effort

Therefore, I would like to create a map of KDE contributors' home towns (the towns/cities would be enough, no need to know the precise location). Ideally it would be possible for people to decide whether they want their name to show up publicly, or whether they just want to show up as an anonymous contributor.

So, two questions:
1. Does that make sense to you?
2. If yes: Does anyone know of a piece of code that allows people to enter their city of residence and then show people on a map (ideally as an OSM overlay), or could otherwise maybe create it?

Cheers,
Thomas