I don't think there are any problems with using public domain images, and
even if there were I'd rather view them as challenges to overcome than
obstacles to avoid.

> These are both non-free licences and we can not ship files which can
only be copied with their restrictions.

Why not? As far as Unsplash goes, their only restriction is not to start a
competing service, which is not even remotely what we are trying to do.
Surely that is a reasonable and acceptable restriction. It's not unlike the
copyleft restrictions ("freedoms") of the GPL.

I don't know about the Pexels license though. It purports to be free, but
the wording is very vague and it's hard to gauge how equivalent it is to
CC0. But I think that just means it bears a closer look, not that it should
be rejected outright.