Hi Richard and welcome to the KDE community! :)

As for finding places to get pointers, the forum (https://discuss.kde.org) and the chat rooms (https://go.kde.org/matrix/#/#kde-community:kde.org) would be the best places to check out. There is also the developers' mailing list (https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel) for more technical questions.

Regards,

Ben