On quarta-feira, 3 de abril de 2013 22.39.47, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
> Also punish all passwords harder
> that do not contain all types of characters, so a password containing only
> lowercase characters and numbers needs to be much longer than one also
> containing specials and uppercase characters.

You do realise that a password isn't truly random if it has to contain all
types? I hate when I'm forced to do that.

For example, here are 10 password generated with keepassx with Upper, lower,
numbers, minus, underline, and special characters:

                                old     / new
"d3(;$puO               82      82
S+157jz"9               92      72
4Q%p6sZwo               100     100
0We|va}!G               92      92
*+"$ZIf6p               72      62

'HC4@xiH?               82      80
qbF\FdHCy               82      52
'$Y(7sy8<               100     82
)Nxrml@u[               100     90
U-+*al`S)               82      62

Note how there a few without digits. But since they're all randomly-generated
using the same method, they all have the same probability.

For custom
"!@#$%^&*abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvxwyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789", I
get:

4xy1pIrwy               100     60
rv8AaI6G8               92      70
YHbcA5C38               92      60
h@abfjih6               72      55
m!58L!TOD               52      42

GNxzg&Rxz               82      52
SFZN5$k@m               82      62
7bmDx@*SW               82      72
U2WVF9kLH               82      47
tgD4cYGjo               82      62

Out of ten, only three got all four types of characters. All *ten* got a score
lower than 75, which is your threshold for the green colour.

I generated 100 10-character passwords by base64 encoding /dev/urandom. With
the old algorithm, 65% of the passwords were 100 points, 20% more between 90
and 99 and 10% between 80 and 89. With the new algorithm, only 14 passwords
got 100 points, 21% are between 80 and 99 and 40% of them are between 70 and
79 points. There was even one entry that got 30 points.

I have to increase the password length to 14 characters to 65% of 100 points.
And they're all random.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358