On Sonntag, 6. Dezember 2015 22:23:01 CEST, Nicolás Alvarez wrote:

I am aware that Nuno manually chose rendering engine and scaling
method for every individual Oxygen icon based on seeing which one gave
(subjectively) better results. That is not documented anywhere

Seriously? I mean, are you saying the choices where not recorded anywhere? (To
automize re-generation on a rule base)

I don't think there is any working implementation of RFC1437
Rumor has it that Dr. Ira Graves will have made some progress on this
particular issue.

If I want to make an Oxygen-style icon

of vastly inferior quality ... :-P

for my application's document format, I can copy the .svg for an existing
file format icon, put my application logo, leave the paper,
and... who knows how to produce the magic .png from that. No documentation,
no script.

Is this a real world issue or is the solution being "breeze"?

I could even bring licensing into the discussion.

Afaiu you can't - png is the "source", because they were post-processed in
addition?!?
Even if not: it doesn't matter whether you use inkscape or gimp or krita or
illustrator or photoshop or MS paint to create a raster image (or whether you
provide intermediate results as well) - otherwise things would get *really*
complex, because the *entire* production process of the image would have to be
documented to eg. allow recretation of a png drawn in gimp (Mask here, gradient
there. Gaussian blur, 40% overlay. Flatten, displacement noise,
yaddayaddayadda...)

IOW, iamges don't fit code licenses at all.

Cheers,
Thomas