On Tuesday, December 21, 2010, François K. wrote:
> Is this a good solution ? I think I'm missing something because I'm still
> downloading the file and, for what I understand, kioslaves should allow me
> to avoid that.

kio just provides access to data, with a uniform API for both the local and
remote case. it doesn't provide a magic way to actually process data on a
remote machine.

> Is there a way to load the file and build a QIcon without
> downloading it first ?

kio operates locally; there is no server side to it. so, no. it needs to
access the data (which in the remote case means sending it over the network)
and then it can process it. you can do things to help, such as cache the
results so they aren't re-downloaded every time the application starts. at
least KIO is out-of-process so your application can do this async.

> What about performances if I have hundreds of files
> and load them from a remote source ?

it'll take a while; nothing can short circuit the minimum amount of work
involved in getting the information from point A to point B. the best thing
you could probably do is to ensure that on the remote source there is an
application which processes the files there and sends something minimal
across. that's probably not an option, though :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se