On Sunday 15 May 2011 17:52:59 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 05/15/2011 04:03 PM, Martin Gräßlin wrote:

> >> So you say the default kde style is entitled to break kde application at
> >> will
> >> because there are other styles out there which do it already? Is that
> >> really a
> >> accepted kde policy?
> >>
> >> Sometimes i wonder.
> > So you think we should better disable the feature and close the eyes
> > although we know that
> > there are bugs with other styles (including for example the quite popular
> > Ubuntu default
> > style)?
>
> I believe that there was an error in choosing a correct configuration
> scheme and defaults.  By default, it would make more sense to enable
> this feature only for the menu bar, so that title and menu bar gets
> unified.  And possibly the toolbar too, as it's usually under the menu
> bar.  An additional setting, that applies the feature to the whole
> application window, would by default be disabled.
>
> That sounds to me like the best middle ground.

I agree. It isn't reasonable to expect applications to know about all the
possible things that styles might decide to do, unless it's clearly defined
somewhere. If a style does unexpected things which are not clearly documented
(in a sufficiently prominent place in the documentation that people won't
overlook it), then the style *will* introduce bugs in applications which are
not the applications' responsibility. To say that a style can quietly do
whatever it likes because some people decide it's useful, regardless of side
effects, is just not reasonable.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.