On Sunday, 2011-10-02, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2011-10-02, Kevin Krammer <kevin.kram...@gmx.at> wrote:
> > Interesting. So do other projects ship bug fixes without patch level
> > releas= e or=20
> > do the not ship bug fixes at all?
>
> At least in debian, for stable updates it is only for very serious
> issues there are shipped updates in stable releases, among other things
> because 'non-changing' is also part of 'stability'.
>
> In many pieces of 'deployed software' you as a user or integrator
> or sysadm have deployed workarounds for known bugs, and fixing them
> might actually introduce new issues because of the workarounds. But this
> might also be primarily for 'server components' this is important.

Yes, of course. I consider Debian Stable to be what other distributions call
LTS or Enterprise.
Those have, as you explained, different goals, i.e. better have a known bug
than a new unknown one.

But I don't think this applies to each distributor's variant of intermediate
releases in between "frozen-stable" releases, does it?

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring