El dimecres, 10 de gener de 2018, a les 23:49:06 CET, Sayan Biswas va
escriure:
> Hi,

Hi

> A very happy new year to all. Hope you guys are doing good. :)
>
> Me and Rahul (CC'ed; IRC nick - rahulch) came up with an idea for a
> new application in KDE, and we were hoping to get an opinion on it.
>
> The central idea behind the app will be to manage the expenses of a
> group of users. As a user, you can create one or more groups, add
> members to them, and add entries for expenses for a given group. You
> can also check the outstanding balances and choose to settle-up with one
> or more members. There will be options for fine-tuning a given entry -
> decide who all have born the total expenditure and by what
> proportions, how should the total expense be divided among the members
> (equally/specific amounts/etc), add pictures for receipts, add
> comments, and so on and so forth.

So somthing like a Splitwise Free Software clone, have you checked if one
already exists? I know starting is half the fun, but maybe joining an existing
project that does something similar and help them build a desktop application
would also be nice.

> We are planning to start off with desktop application with a decentralised
> approach, i.e. the users will hold the data of the shared expenses. Now
> again, there is a possibility of tampering with the expenditure so we might
> need to set a centralised archived or something similar data set to
> maintain the integrity and persistence of a transaction. We are open to
> opinions and discussions for this also. Further to that we will be building
> mobile application for the users ease of usage and add expenditure on the
> go. After all, mobiles are more widely used by user than desktop
> application.
>

> For settling up we were thinking of integrating some standard payment
> gateways (PayPal, etc) but I am not sure of how much of this
> integration is possible in KDE.

I don't understand this question, just open a webview to paypal and be done?

> Until then we can just maintain a
> transaction record indicating that members A and B have settled up. We
> were also considering developing a cryptocurrency (we could call it
> KCoin or something) that would serve as a means of payment. Opinions
> are welcome in this particular segment as possibilities can be immense.

There are 1432 cryptocurrencies around, why would you do yet another one?

> As for maintaining the ledgers, we wanted to implement it using
> blockchain, but again, I am not sure if it can be done in KDE, or if
> we have some libraries that support blockchain implementation, etc.

What do you exactly mean by "it can be done in KDE"?

> An application like this comes in handy when a group of people need to
> manage their regular expenses, and we thought it might be a good idea
> to have something similar in KDE. The target audience for this will be
> college groups, work groups, school groups, etc whoever is entitled to
> shared expenditure. We would love to get your feedback, mainly on the
> feasibility of the features mentioned above.

Sure those applications make sense as shown by the millions of free as in beer
version of them you can find in the mobile appstores, having a Free one
totally makes sense.

Cheers,
  Albert