Am 14.10.2019 22:51 schrieb Johan Ouwerkerk:
On 14.10.2019 21:22, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
If however, master had seen commits as well, fast-forwarding is
performing a rebase ... is that correct?

The workflow would be: whenever master is updated, you rebase your
local feature/work branch and force-push to the remote copy of the
feature/work branch.

This is exactly the problem I see.
I create a branch.
I start to use, let's say ... KDialog in my feature as KDialog has been used throughout the application and make 20 commits. Now on master, someone merges a branch that replaces all the KDialogs with overlays and removes all KDialog includes. So if I rebase on that, all my 20 commits will fail to build. Checking out an older revision to test something will not work. Now I will fix my latest revision and merge to master. Still: 19 commits are not compiling anymore.

Or am I missing something here?

How would we deal with that? Is "short-lived branches" (as you stated below) enough to reduce the risk?

Cheers
Frederik